Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I screwed up BIG time

Old 11-15-2005, 10:51 AM

Default RE: I screwed up BIG time

Hope for the best and I hope the fine aint too much but it is a nice lookin bird!
Old 11-15-2005, 10:57 AM

it is kind of funny though
Old 11-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I know someone who shot one deer over the limit a couple of years ago. He checked them all in and did not realize that he had committed a violation until he got to the butcher shop where it was pointed out to him.

He never did hear from the DNR about it. I think I would keep my mouth shut until they come knocking on the door. It was an honest mistake. Turning yourself in won't bring the turkey back.

Good luck.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:28 PM

Oh man - I would absolutely keep my mouth shut.

Maybe the guy at the check station thought that you shot it the night before, and just got in to check it in that morning??? Don't you some time to go and check it in? 24 hours maybe?

You realized you made the mistake. You didn't mean to do it, but I don't see that as a reason to rush off and turn yourself in. The words "Don't beat yourself up over it" comes to my mind. You made a mistake. You didnt mean to do it, and now you seem to me to be sorry about it. Seems the fear of it all might have scared you enough to prevent it again.

Call in - I would think that you are guarenteed to pay the fine.
Don't call in - and you only MIGHT have to pay.

Everytime you accidentally speed, do you stop at the first policeman you see and ask for your speeding ticket?

I know what I would do.
1 - Be more aware of the laws
2 - Hush.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would definitly keep my mouth shut. I know a lot of states have a grace period. For example, you have 3 days to register a deer after you tag it insome states. If you turn your self in, you will be for sure have to pay. If you don't, there is always the chance it may slide by. The important thing is that you did learn a valuable lesson either way.