Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you do?

Old 11-12-2005, 11:10 AM

Default What would you do?

This is what happened to me this year. I would like to see how you would have handled the situation. A buddy and me get to Elk camp two days before the opening of the season. We get there early to make sure we get the camp that we want. It is farthest back where the 4x4 road ends. The evening before opening day a guy in a green grand cherokee pulls up to our camp. He is by himself. The first thing he does is starts complaining about where I parked my truck and how I should have left that spot open so he could turn around easier. Then he proceeds to tell me in a irritated way how he has to hurry because he is walking in and camping on the mountain.

Let me give you a little perspective on this spot. We are at the trail head. About .5 miles from where we are camped is hunting ground. We have seen Elk there plenty. This guy tells me he is planning on walking in and camping right next to the beaver pond. Right where we have seen Elk almost every day. So I try in a nice way to talk him out of camping on the mountain. To no success. He packs in the whole 1.5 miles and does his thing.

Every night up to here, we have been sung to sleep by bugling elk. The night he rolls in. Nothing! The following day my partner and I walk in and go in the opposite direction as this guy. The next three days, we dont even hear an Elk. Thank god he was only there 3 days. After he was gone and the elk came back. We ended up taking 4 bulls out. This is not the end.

We come back for last week of theseason. When the bulls are the hottest. I have been saving my tag to try and get a big 6x6. The elk are going crazy we are into them every day. Then all of a sudden we wake up to nothing. No bugling no nothing. I was wondering what had happened. We went in that morning as usual and did not even spook a squirrel. I thought could it be. The guy in the green jeep. No way! We worked our way back to where he had camped before. Within 50 yards of 3 hot wallows. Yes, there he is, 8:00 in his pajamas standing outside his tent. We approach him and ask what the hell he is doing. Does he not see the elk are gone. Does he not see it because of him? Is he a Peta member? What is going on here? All that he can say is that I did not invite him to stay in our camp and that was why he is right in the middle of where the elk usually are. We kind of get into a confrontation. I back off before it gets physical. We leave it at him saying it is a free country and that he can do what he wants no matter how it affects other people.

How would you handle this situation. The reason I ask is he says he preference points for this unit and is planning on coming back next year and bringing his brother inlaw. Unreal huh?
Old 11-12-2005, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What would you do?

There are idiots like that all over the place. You waisted your best opportunity to make him re think his manners. Nothing like a couple of loose teeth to bring ones focus in line with yours. [X(]
Old 11-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

you did the best thing and backed off.i would of had to say what i needed too, then i leave it as that too........
Old 11-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Of course Huntinma is right and so were you but man, some people just get the blood boiling. Good luck next year.