Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it wrong to shoot an albino deer?

Old 11-10-2005, 02:17 PM

Default RE: Is it wrong to shoot an albino deer?

So if everyone says to kill it how does the phrase "If Its brow its down" work?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would love to take albino! As a matter of fact I may just be taking my first piebald in a week or twoWe have apiebald doe that as started poping up out back where I work we have seen it quite a few times in the past couple of weeks she has been feeding under a whiteoak just about every afternoon and I have permission to hunt it.I would most likely get a full body mount (imo) it would make a very cool trophy.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:28 PM

Sooting a albino in Iowa is illegal
Old 11-11-2005, 05:21 PM

superflyhunter are you hunting in dutchess county ny,both me and my father saw a six or eight last year?
Old 11-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would take it if it was legal. I have never seen a true albino in the wild, but have seen probably a dozen different piebalds over the years. They show up pretty regular where we hunt. I have seen them with color ranging from just a little white, to almost completely white. In fact about 12yrs ago we had a big old doe around for a few years that was completely white except a brown spot on her head. I did take a piebald doe about 6yrs ago with my bow. Got the hide tanned, it is about 75% white and looks cool. One of the guys I hunt with, his son killed his first buck ever 3 years ago. A piebald spike. He got it mounted, looks great. I didn't see any last year or the year before, so we are probably due for one or two to show this season.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:05 PM

I'd like to shoot an albino deer also never seen one.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:58 PM

About 15 years ago, my dad shot an albino doe. All white with brown speckles. Sort of looked like a brittany spaniel. He's still alive and has taken about 50-60 deer since. About a dozen of these have been very big bucks. I would shoot either one in a second. I took an all white squirrel 2 years ago. It's beautiful, not a grey hair on it. Saw it twice, got video of it then harvested it. First time I've ever gone after one particular squirrel. I consider it a greater trophy than my huge 8 point or my 12" beard gobbler. there are a lot of big bucks out there but albinos are very rare and make a great trophy if legal in your area.