Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

arrow impact?

Old 11-09-2005, 03:49 PM

Default arrow impact?

last Saturday, i shot a doe at 23 yards. was very happy, being the first one this year. but i have a couple of questions.

i have been practicing none stop for the last couple of months and am very accurate up to 40 yards, won't shoot at an animal over 30 yards though. broad heads are dialed in, NAP SplitFires. when i shot this doe, everything went to plan. was able to draw back without her seeing me, had time to go though my shooting tips in my head and placed the pin right behind the shoulder and released. lost flight of the arrowhalf way tothe deer.never saw where i hit her. waited for 30 minutes and went to see if there was any blood. there was good blood and no arrow. so i followed the blood till i found my arrow about 10 yards away fromthe spoti shot her at. the arrow only had bloodand hair on the front half of the arrow. bad penatration. at that point, iwent back to my stand and called for help. help came and we sarted tracking an hour later. great blod and found the deer 80 yards away. to my suprise, i hit her in the neck. i couldn't understand why i hit her there. she flintched a little upon release, but not that much. what really suprised me was that my arrow didn't go all the way through. nothing but meat. the broadhead was still sharp and the pointlooked and felt brand new. i don't get it. why did it only go half way in and not a pass through. i shot a Golden Eagle Obssesion with a 70lbs pull andcabon arrows. has this ever happened to anyone?
Old 11-09-2005, 03:54 PM

Default RE: arrow impact?

I have had shots with no pass through and only half the arrow stuck in....one of the best shots I ever made was a quartering away where the arrow sunk in 3/4ths of the way and hit the doe in the heart....still got a blood trail and found it under 50 yards away..as for the miss hit, everyone has done it...could be nerves, the wind, the angle, miscalculations, etc...good job finding her.

vashadowhunter
Old 11-09-2005, 04:10 PM

that would be a spitfire by Nap. that is a 1 1/2 inch broadhead.the spitfire requires a lot of kinetic energy to make it operate. the neck is meaty and it will offer a lot of resistance to the broadhead and arrow, enough in your case to stop the arrow before it could pass through. Now it appears that the 1 1/2 inch size broadhead is to large for the amount of kinetic energy you have. you would have better luck with a smaller diameter cut head, and if you have to use a mechanical a rocket steel head, shockwave or scorpion by nap, rocky mt.sniper all required less energy to operate and all work well.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree, the bigger the head the more resistance. I use g5 100 gr. Montechs or thunderheads 100 gr. She flentched a little and you did to so the shot was approx 14inches off the mark. It happens at least you got you doe. Good job.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Dominant Buck

It's hard to say without all the info. As someone suggested, it could be a kenetic energy problem. BUT, since you didn't see the arrow fly all the way and you hit so far from where you were aiming, it's possible you deflected off something on the way and had a slapping hit All sorts of things could happen. Another, at the moment of truth people sometimes don't realize they've changed their form. Grab the bow like it's a life and death matter and you change the shot. Grip pressure changes are probably the number one reason for errant shots in the woods.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:13 PM

ive shot 1 or 2 deer in the neck , althow its not an optional shot, boy do they bleed out , it seems like gallons and sp\rays from waist high to the ground like you cant immagine, they usually run around 100 yards
Old 11-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the doe.