Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need some advice

Old 11-04-2005, 04:56 AM

Default Need some advice

The area I hunt is hunted very hard by many different people. The deer are always under a large amount of pressure. This year seems to be the worst of all since the amount of coyotes has seemed to double if not triple. I have seen very few deer in this area and little signs. Of course everyone else that hunts this area claims to have seen the largest bucks ever but I am calling their bluff since I have been hunting this area for a very long time and I just don't see any rubs, droppings,new trails or DEER. It is an apple orchard with very thick areas that is impossible to get into without torching the forest with a flame thrower. I hunt from very early morning (dark) till roughly 9:30am and then from about 3pm till dark. The weather lately has been too warm for hunting and I feel like I am wasting my time sitting out there in 70* sun while the deer are probably snoring away in some thicket.

Any suggestions?

Finding a new spot is always a good answer but almost everywhere around here is the same situation.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need some advice

I hunt from very early morning (dark) till roughly 9:30am and then from about 3pm till dark. The weather lately has been too warm for hunting and I feel like I am wasting my time sitting out there in 70* sun while the deer are probably snoring away in some thicket.

Well, this may be your problem, try hunting through the day or from 9:30am - 3p.m. I have seen as many if not more deer during mid-day than other times, especially during around full moon. I assure you, they are not snoring all day just becuase it's hot. Also, I would look some more for sign, but if you still cannot find any sign, I wouldn't spend a lot of time hunting it.