Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

european mount????

Old 11-03-2005, 08:11 PM

Default european mount????

I have seen several european mounts and i was wondering what u need to make one and how to do it.
Any help yall can previde would be appriciated,,Thanks
Old 11-04-2005, 01:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: european mount????

they are simple...all i do is boil the heads until the meat/skin starts to fall off...you want to make sure you dont boil them too long or the bone will soften...after gettin' all the flesh off of it then you bleach it....go to your local beauty supply store and ask for the powdered bleach and activator...i just bought enough for my two alligator heads and it was under $20 and i'll probably have enough to go my hog head as well.....you can also bake them after you boil them to get any oils out but that's not a necessity....be prepared to spend the day doing it....also, with my hog head instead of boiling it i decided to put in a coon cage and let the ants and maggots do the work for me...it takes longer but you won't be gaggin' every few seconds...lol.
good luck and post pics when you're done.....you can also buy the kits from cabela's, possibly basspro too.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here's one I just boiled and bleached.

Old 11-04-2005, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would recomend peroxide over bleach. I h ave always been told the bleach will continue to eat away at the bone even after it has been rinsed off. Someone told me it gets in the bone and starts eating from the inside out.

But I have always had great success with peroxide.

A buddy of ours will boil his and then pressure wash the meat off rather than scrape it off.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have done 5 skull mounts and here is what I do.

First I skin the deer head. I try to get off the skin and as much meat as possible.

Then I boil the deer head. It doesn't smell very good, so I recommend doing it outside. I have done it a couple ways. I have got water boiling on the stove, then took the boiling water out to the grill (to keep it boiling) and boiled the head on the grill. Other times I haveboiled water ina turkey deep fryer and boil the head in there. (this works best) Regardless, boil the head for about and hour or two. Then take the head out and scrape off as much meat as possible.

Repeat the boiling steps about 3 times or until satisfied with how the skull looks. Also be carefull with the water because sometimes some teeth may fall out. If they do, find the teeth so you can glue them in later. (Also at some point in the skull cleaning process, you will have to get the brains out. It works good if you mash the brains with a skrew driver or something, then spray them out with a hose.)

Once the skull is clean, you are ready to bleach it. I use a bleaching product I purchase from any hair solon. (it is a powder I mix with a liquid to form a paste) Brush this mix on the deers skull and teeth. BUT be carefull not to get any on the antlers, or else it will bleach those as well and you could end up with a white spot on your antlers. Once the skull is covered with the paste, cover the head completly with plastic bag and put in a warm spot. (the bleach is heat activated). Let covered for 2 days, then rinse off the the bleach product. If you want the skull even whiter, just repeat this step for another two days.

Now all that is left is to make a wood plaque. There is a bone in the back of the deers skull that is perfect for drilling two holes and running a wire for hanging purposes.

This process has worked magical for me. Beutiful mounts when they aren't quite big enough for shoulder mounts.

P.S. Sorry for any type-o's
Old 11-04-2005, 07:56 AM

IL BOW MAN I think when FL HUNTRESS talks about bleach she indeed maens 30 volume bleach with peroxide. My wife is a haidresser and I use her 30 vol. which is in a liquid form. It works great. PSE you can do it many diff ways but I boil and clean the same way every one else has said.Only I use cheese cloth soaked in the 30 vol. and lay it on like paper mache. and leave it in the sun on a warm day for a few hours. rince with water and if it isn't light enough repeat bleaching process untill desired color is achieved. Oh one more different thingI do isadd dish soap and baking soda to the water while you boil it. The soap will help remove any extra oil and fatty meat and the baking soda will help cut down on the stink. It will come out great if you take your time and follow these directions. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2005, 08:06 AM

Boiling, scraping and bleaching is the quickest and hardest way. Putting them in a beatle box is the claenest but slowest way. I live near Michigan State University and a friend of mine took his bear skull to them and they were happy to feed there beatles with it and it didn't cost him anything.