Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
bow
55.77%
rifle/shotgun
36.54%
muzzleloader
7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Bow or gun, which one?

Old 11-03-2005, 09:06 PM

Default RE: Bow or gun, which one?

I never hunt with a bow during rifle season. I never hunt during rifle season at all. There's too many stupid hunters out there. I can tell you though that if rifle and bow season were the same lengths, I would always, always go bow. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I think that rifle hunting is for pussies. I mean seriously, you can easily reach out to 300 yards with a shot. That's 10 times farther out than a bow can easily shoot. I just hate it when people are out rifle hunting and say stuff like "Man, this is a real challenge.". I'm just like "If you think that's a challenge, then why don't you try going out with a bow for once!". Also, for me, rifle hunting is boring. Like my dad always says, "Rifle hunting is about as fun as going out and shooting a cow".
Old 11-03-2005, 09:18 PM

I started bowhunting when i was about 12. I have hunted deer everyway, bow, muzzleloader, shotgun, and rifle. I dont hunt deer with a shotgun or rifle anymore. Im thinking about quitting muzzleloading because 2 years ago i easily tooka buck with an 80 yard shot with my ML. Its just to easy and the challenge is not there.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:22 PM

You don't have a box for "other". I will have thepistola (15"bbl Encorein .260 Rem.) in a shoulder holster as I carry my bow. It's legal here in general season, and if I must succumb to the monster at 200 yards at least I have that option. Mine is sub-MOA at that distance. I will try not sell my soul to the evil demons of burning powder, but you never know.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:51 AM
Typical Buck

if i get a deer this weekend then i might bring my bow but if not it'll have to be my shotgun.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Well....here's my "personal" opinion.

I guess the film crews could make me setting up on the edge of a 600yd wide field and taking a deer that can't even hear me look like the stalk of the century. But....I'd know better. To me....when the animal is so far away that it either: 1) doesn't see you there.....or...2) knows you're there...but also knows you're too far away to be a threat...

....then that's not hunting. It's SHOOTING.

I suppose there's sport in getting your rifle sighted in to make such shots. I suppose???

I'll never deer hunt with anything other than a bow.

Like I said....these are MY views.

Jeff
Old 11-04-2005, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

I have NO desire to shoot a deer with a gun!!!! ............I started bow hunting when I was 12 and my dad took me out with him long before that.............Bowhunting is in my blood!

I've tried the gun thing and to me its like shooting fish in a barrel
Old 11-04-2005, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me just say that everyone should suppose the circumstances are the same for everyone. I use rifle/shotgun but don't think I've shot a deer further than 80 yards. Most of my kills, even with a gun are less than 50 yards (actually most are less than 30 yards). I'm usually deep in thick woods/swamp/marsh with low visibility. So the challenge is still there, the outcome is less in question though than with a bow. So yes, I'll be using a gun. If you'd like to call me names feel free, I'm secure enough to take it.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:12 AM

During rifle season, I go back to my hometown in the middle of SD where the hunting is done on open fields. Since I have started bowhunting I have become a trophy only rifle hunter. I will bowhunt to fill my freezer and unless a monster deer shows itself while I'm carrying my .30-06, I'll just have a rifle tag sandwich. It does change things up for me for a little while from the long hours in the trees, so my answer would be rifle, but if I'm lucky enough to get a deer early w/ my rifle, I will switch over to my bow as soon as my rifle tag is filled.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

This being the bowhunting room I figured it'd be almost completely bow that people chose. To my surprise it's about even between bow/guns.

I prefer bowhunting because it's challenging. Any Tom, Dick, or Harry can pick up a gun once a year, go out and kill a deer. (which to me, is not a real form of hunting.)

I have a few friends who are complete yahoos, who do this every year. And can't hunt a lick, or shoot worth a flip. Yet, they kill deer.

The simplicity of gun hunting turns me off.

I always prefer bow or muzzleloader, because I like to think of myself as a hunter. Not your average Joe when it comes to hunting.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

This being the bowhunting room I figured it'd be almost completely bow that people chose. To my surprise it's about even between bow/guns.

I prefer bowhunting because it's challenging. Any Tom, Dick, or Harry can pick up a gun once a year, go out and kill a deer. (which to me, is not a real form of hunting.)

I have a few friends who are complete yahoos, who do this every year. And can't hunt a lick, or shoot worth a flip. Yet, they kill deer.

The simplicity of gun hunting turns me off.

I always prefer bow or muzzleloader, because I like to think of myself as a hunter. Not your average Joe when it comes to hunting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.