Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What you do before the shot!

Old 11-02-2005, 03:13 PM

Default RE: What you do before the shot!

I haven't shot (or shot at)a lot of critters with my bow, but one thing I do know is every one of them was a completely different scenario. Because of this, it would be hard for me to say "this is what I think before the shot".[/align][/align]Here are some examples:[/align][/align]Mule deer buck.Broadside shot at 20yrds. He appears out of nowhere. "Holy %$%$, where did he come from. He's looking the other way. Pull back, ok... 20 yards... ok...this is meat on the table!"...TWANG...Thwing...rattle...rattle... "I missed! Where did that branch come from???%&$^%*$%&!!!"[/align][/align]Mule deer doe, last 2 hours of the season, meat getting time. Spent nearly30 minutesbelly crawling thru 2ft high sagebrush across open terrain to get within20 yards.Was laying on my back behind a rock with a little V-notch"OK...this is your best shot opportunity....take a peek....yep...she is still there...ok...if yousit up she will bolt...what to do??...ok...pull back and slowly lean up...ok...take the shot..." WACK!..."Where is she going??..ok...she is down...hahahahahaha...she fell 20 ft from my truck!....hahahahahahahahah".[/align][/align]Bull elk. Broadside.35 yards. "OK, there he is...a little further...light is fading fast!...common...common...get there...get there...ok...pull back...you know the yardage...where is he??...can't see him thru the peep...there he is...still can't get agood site of him thru the peep...not enough light...should I takean instinctive shot?...no..pass...ohcommon...take the shot...no..pass..don't take it...not worth woundinghim...let down the bow...ok..get back to camp, he'll be here tomorrow!"...the next day my buddy shot him.[/align][/align]Alaskan Caribou. Broadside. "There he is...range...170yrds out...no where to go...nothing to hide behind..DANG TUNDRA HUNTING!...ok...remember what my father said...these critters are always on the move...you may have to take a long running shot...ok...we've practiced out to 70 yards...he's a nice bull and if he...oh no...he sees me...BUSTED...wait...holy cow he's coming right at me...ok...steady!....ok....what is he doing??...he's circling me...range?? 70yards...take a shot...yea I know, he's trotting...lead him..." TWANG..rattle...rattle..."Missed!..dang it...he's still circling me...hahaha...this is wild...knock another arrow...oh...he stopped!...range 67 yards!...ok..put it just like the 3D back home...ok....release" Twang....rattle...rattle "He stinkin moved when I released! arrrgggggg...hahahahaha...ok...get another one knocked...he's still circling...he doesn't know what is going on....oh no...he's finally down wind of me...no time to range him...guess...60 yards...ok...he's broadside!...this is it! You have got to make this shot!....ok...pull back...release!..." WACK!..."OMG I hit him!...hahahahaha....WOOOHOOOOOO!....ok...easy...s ettle down! He looks as surprised as you feel...looks like a lung shot...he's waivering....he's down!!!! YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"[/align]
Old 11-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

usually wake up and nock an arrow
Old 11-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

It's like a good golf swing....too many swing thoughts only jack things up.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:03 PM

Moosedrool..very well put. (and good beer too!)

Funny though, I remember what I'm thinking before and after the shot, but nothing during the shot. It was very similar to when I played competitive golf. If I thought about it too long I'd always shank it, but if I just gave it a quick thought, addressed the ball and went into auto-mode, all those swings on the practice tee paid off. Same for archery. If I just focus on the shot and not the what ifs, it is almost automatic.

Old 11-03-2005, 04:32 AM

Well, I've only taken three shots at game with my bow. I've practiced a ton on targets. All three of the shots have hit the target, but only one has done the job. I'm pretty sure it was my nervs taking over on the first two shots and that why I had some really bad hits. When I'm practicing, my groups are with in about a 50 cent piece and I can nail the vitals almost every time. When I got my first kill this year with my bow, I don't remember the shot that well. It seemed like it happened really fast. I didn't get the chance to get nervous, becasue he came out of no where, walked right in on me. I drew as soon as he walked behind a tree and he stopped on his own right in my only shooting lane. The actuall shot was a blur, all I remember is hearing my hit and seeing him jump. I watched him run about 30 yards and start to stumble a little, he was down. I watched him drop. I wasn't shaking too bad, but boy was I happy. I hadn't taken the shot but about a minute ago and now I was on the phone calling my wife, brothers, and all my hunting buddies telling them I got one. I wasn't even real sure how big he was, all I knew was he was a buck. I thought it was a six point, but when I finally calmed down and climbed out of my stand I walked over to where he was down. It ended up being an 11 point and dressed out at 120lbs. Not huge, but a great first buck. I still can't remember anything during the shot everything was just a real blur.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

1) identify target and whats beyond it
2) glance at antlers to determine shootability
3) take eyes off antlers. I wont look at them again until they ar ein my hands
4) pick a hair i want to hit
5) draw bow, never taking eyes off hair
6) settle into my anchor, and the peep with automatically line up and the string will touch my nose (importance of correct draw length)
7) Squeeze shoulder blades together
8) as the shot goes off, keep staring at that same hair
9) watch the hair and see the arrow glide into it.
12) Watch intently where the deer goes and how it acts.
11) Mark a landmark where the shot was,wait depending on the hit, and go get my arrow, then track my deer.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:01 PM

Once I pick up the bow it all just sort of happens. I practice shooting so much it is more of a reflex than a shot process at this point. Basically I draw, aim and release the arrow. Nothing fancy about it. You should not be aware of anything else while shooting. That is what blind bale shooting is for.

Paul