Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scored on Halloween

Old 11-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scored on Halloween

Well, I took a 180 pound 10 point last night and I am a happy hunter. I stayed out of this area as much as possible so far this seasonas it is a natural doe travel route and I knew the bucks would come cruisin'. I have passed 5 bucks out of this stand the few times Ihave hunted it so farbecause I was waiting on a big one. I like to try and single out a certain deer, which is never easy to do. Earlier last week I found three scrapes on a trail behind me and to the left of my stand. I took a ultimate scrape dripper and made a mock scrape and put some active scrape in it and got out of there. I did not hunt it again until last night as I wanted to give the scrape a chance to draw attention. When I snuck in last night on a perfect wind for what I was hoping for, I took a look at the mock scrape and it had been hit and hit hard. It was now about 5:30 and I knew something had to happen because I only had about 35 more minutes of shooting light left. I reached for my trusty true talker and let go with a dominant buck grunt. Nothing. Then I let go with another one but longer and more agressive and that must have been the medicine because I heard a grunt about 30 yards behind the scrapes. I heard the deer walking down the trail and I knew it was big because of the sound it was making in the leaves. Then I heard it stop and start sniffing the air. It worked the first scrape, went a little farther and worked the next one, then the third one, and guess which one was next. Now I knew he was coming to my mock scrape and he had to go behind some cedars which are right next to the trail he was walking. I caught just enough of his rack size to know it was him, and I was already at full draw when he walked right smack in the middle of my scrape. Now I am 20 feet up in a ladder stand and he has no idea that I am there. This deer was going nuts over that scrape and he was actually licking and nudging the scrape dripper with his nose. I found my spot, and I knew he was at 15 yards because I had pre-ranged it, settled the pin, relaxed and pulled through the shot. My ultratec, with goldtip pro hunters, tipped with 100 grain 3 blade muzzys and fletched with blazers(love them blazers), hit him high behind the shoulder, drove through both lungs, and out the heart. It almost knocked him down. He took off like a rocket and I watched him as long as I could then listened. I was praying that he wouldn't go to the right because it is a straight down hillside and it would be a hard drag. Instead, now here is the cool part, he turns left, and then I hear that crash we all love, within 60 yards of my truck. Now how's that for cooperation. It was a great hunt and God, I love bowhuntin'. I almost forgot, I took a mid 150 class 10 point last season in this same spot, and the buck from last night was probably no more than 10 feet from where I took him. I will post pictures as soon as they are back, in the mean time, I wish you all the fun and excitement that this sport we all cherish can offer. Good luck.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:31 PM

Default RE: Scored on Halloween

That is awesome, congrats. I cant wait to see the pictures.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

We neededa happy deer story today, thx and great job
Old 11-01-2005, 02:16 PM

Yeah cooperation is always fun the past 3 years my deer have dropped either on the road after about a 30 yard run or in the ditch. I know its luck but hey its better than having to drag a deer a hundred yards up a near vertical climb. I live in Washington State and believe me hunting in the mountains is a lot of fun until you gotta drag a deer up a shale hill. 2 steps up 1 step back.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's awesome. That's what happens when everything comes together. Glad to hear it and look forward to seeing the pics. Awesome!!!
Old 11-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice work look forward to the pics!
Old 11-01-2005, 03:19 PM

congrats. nice story ,send out pictures!
Old 11-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrates
Old 11-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool story, can't wait to see the photo.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:02 PM

ATTA BOY!!

Quick Reply: Scored on Halloween

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.