Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cell Phones in the woods

Old 10-31-2005, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cell Phones in the woods

I bring mine with so i can play Hold'Em...or i cant sit still for nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![8D]
Old 11-01-2005, 01:02 AM

I've been lucky to be able to hunt private land, but I too carry a cell phone with me when I'm out. Mainly for emergencies, *amn near fell out of a tree once and realized my cell phone was back in my truck. Not a great feeling when you think you're about to fall, probably get hurt, and don't have anyway to get ahold of anyone. I keep it on vibrate so I don't spook the deer. It would kind of tick me off if that happened to me though.[:@]
Old 11-01-2005, 02:11 AM
Typical Buck

i always have mine with me.
i downloaded crickets chirping for my ring tone, turned off the keypad, and have it on vibrate for messages...i can understand your frustration but having a cell phone is a safe thing to do...but i also think others should have some sort of respect for the hunters that may be nearby.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:59 AM

I also carry mine whenever I go out and it is on vibrate mode. Mainly for emergencies or to call the DNR and reserve a spot for next week.

What that guy did is just a sign of the times. Most people are in their own little world and either don't think about other people or just don't give a damn. Sad really.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I got my plan renewed, I also bought a new phone. I now carry my old one on me while hunting. The only number that can be called is 911 and all the incoming calls go to my other phone, which gets left in the car.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take mine with and keep it on silent mode. I use it for emergencies or for a call to my wife after I harvest a critter. I hunt alone a lot. It gives her peace of mind knowing I am going to call once I reach my vehicle.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carried mine but had it off all the time. Then my wife hollered at me that if she really needed me, she couldn't call. I started leaving it on vibrate to make her happy. I told her only to call in an emergency. Last Saturday, about 6:00pm, I had a nice hen turkey directly under me and was talking myself into shooting her when the phone started vibrating. I was deer hunting but thought a turkey by bow would be nice. I could not believe that the turkey heard the phone vibrate and took off running out through the woods squawking. I answered it kinda nasty and my wife asks me.."where are you?".....
"IN A FREAKING TREE, WHERE ELSE!" I yelled.
She said "oh, still?"..........
"SON OF A B*TCH" ...was my reply
THE PHONE IS BACK TO OFF!