Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot a big one need advise (150 class)

Old 10-31-2005, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shot a big one need advise (150 class)

Shot a big buck last night. I rushed the shot and hit him right in front of the shoulder and about the midpoint of the neck for up and down. Yeah, I rushed the shot...and yeah I feel terrible about it. Please don't rub that in. I had him at 10 yards. Totally blew my chance to get my first bow buck. I got trailcam pics of him so know how big he is.

What are any opinions you guys might have on recovery. He bled BAD for 150 yards then I think we got him running. The blood petered out and we can't follow after 300+- yards. I know we should have stayed off him last night now that I think about it, but I did leave him be for over 30 minutes. Hindsight is always 20/20.

ANY ADVISE APPRECIATED!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 10:14 AM

Default RE: Shot a big one need advise (150 class)

30 Minutes.................

You should have stayed in your tree stand for longer than 30 minutes.

It sounds like you definately rushed it by 4-5 hours. Be more patient next time.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

HE"S GONE..
Old 10-31-2005, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

well if u hit the deer where the neck meets the chest , dead center , id think you woulda got some of that juggular vien sorry about the spelling , or the wind pipe , or somethin , spine? and he would have been down within 300 yards. Maybe not however , ive seen neckshots that just simply go under the spine and behind all the vital stuff in the neck and the deer live for ever! my uncle hit a buck in the neck one year , like i said between the vital areas , and 2 yrs later ended up gettin him in gun season. when we skinned him out we found the piece of aluminum arrow through his neck , the exact arrows my uncle has shot for about 10 years now!!! i have also done about a half dozen deer with pieces of arrow in them , those buggers are hardy animals!!!!

But you mighta got him to stiffen up and get a fever and die if u waited overnight. on any marginal hit i like to use stan potts old saying " when in doubt , back out"
Old 10-31-2005, 10:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Look harder
Old 10-31-2005, 10:28 AM

go back out and look... shoulda waited, that's for sure. My hubby has lost two by not waiting, and he definitely learned his lesson, when I shot my button this year, he waited 3 hours before going out... ended up finding him 40 yards away.

I know hindsight is 20/20 though, so learn from it... as hunters, we're always eager to see what exactly we got, but it isn't the best policy to chase him around for a mile! Just learn from it and know it happens to the best of it. I lost a doe last year because my husband was coming from his stand and kicked her up (didn't kow I shot one), she had laid down. Then 1/2 hour later we took off tracking, kept her going and apparently she went too far, cuz we never found her, it is sickening, but at least the smart ones of us learn from our mistakes. Keep your chin up, maybe he'll show his face again if you're lucky.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would get out now and totally comb the area!!! Dont give up now!!
Old 10-31-2005, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

There will be no giving up....until I'm satisfied he's ok.

I know we should have waited....and it was my fault on the poor shot in the first place.

I'm going to learn from this obviously and when I get another shot at one like this try and do the right thing
Old 10-31-2005, 10:44 AM

Hindsight is always 20/20??

Is that your excuse for knowing nothing about what to do or knowing what to do and not having the willpower to do it because it was a good buck??

You made a terrible shot.......you are the only one who knows the reason for that and has to live with it. Once that happened there is nothing you can do about it but accept reality and stick to the proper follow up........you did NEITHER.

You hurried down and after a poorly shot buck.............he was bleeding bad you said in the beggining.......if you had left him for as long as you should have he would have bedded down not far away and you would have had a MUCH better chance of finding him.

You come here crying for advice????.........there are hundreds of pages of advice available 24/7 and 365 days a year. Maybe if you had taken advantage of all that advice BEFORE you went in the woods you wouldn't be here looking for everyone else to bail you out.

BTW..........I am getting sick of seeing people come on here and say "I know I screwed up bad so no need to pile on or rub it in"..........BS!!!!!! Don't be playing the "I already feel bad" get out of jail free card and expect everyone to feel sorry for you..........the only reason you feel bad is because everything went to hell. You didn't care enough to be prepared and do the right thing in the woods but now we are all supposed to believe you are truely remorseful.

Yea right................this forum is full of guys EVERY year that are only sorry when they don't find their deer.

How someone can post that they did EVERYTHING wrong and then tell people not to point that out is rediculous. You ask for advice???..............AFTER you shoot a big buck poorly and then chase him 2 counties over in less then an hour...........you gotta be kidding.

If you got on him in a 1/2 hour and got him running you must have practically hurried down from your stand right after the shot...........people don't even do that for double lunged deer. The only way you should get down that fast is if you seen him fall.

These kinds of posts turn my stomach.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:45 AM

You are so heartbroken that you are sitting on your computer in the middle of the day instead of looking for that deer???

[:@]

Quick Reply: Shot a big one need advise (150 class)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.