Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bowhunting and rattling??

Old 10-06-2002, 09:11 PM

Default bowhunting and rattling??

I have never tried rattling in bucks. Do you rattlers rattle during bow season or wait until rifle?

I thought about trying it this year, but don't want to go about it all wrong???

http://www.cartogra.com/rs/35D6BABE-...77A760E/screen
Old 10-06-2002, 09:15 PM

Default RE: bowhunting and rattling??

The best time for rattling is the last week of Oct. and the first week or two of Nov. Definitly give it a try.It can work now too but not as good.2-3 weeks before the rut kicks in is tops IMO
Old 10-06-2002, 09:31 PM

I rattle with a rattle bag during bow hunting.I start out with sparring type noise early in the season,and get more aggressive from there.I rely on buck activity viewed while shinning deer,as well as gut instinct as to how agressive to be.I have rattled in several deer,but learned to not rattle until your absolutely ready to shoot.More than once I have rolled the bag before sun up,only to have deer come straight to my stand before I could shoot.They never hang around long enough doing that!

Visit me at www.ATVTime.com!
Old 10-07-2002, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best reaction I've ever seen of a deer to rattling came in September in Minnesota. My buddy, Wooly, rattled in a ticked off 6 point. He got the deer too. So now I rattle all year. I've rattled in a couple early bow season bucks too. One time I rattled in a nice buck. He was about 25 yards away and coming right at me when wooly started rattling near by. The buck turned towards wooly and trotted in that general direction. (I shot right over his back)

Anyway, seems to me that rattling works pretty good early season too.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:44 AM

The buck I shot last week under the post "Score" was rattled in. Here on L.I. NY the bucks are pumped up and ready to go. I would give it a try if I were you.