Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Saga Continues....

Old 10-30-2005, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Saga Continues....

As we last left our hapless hunter he had been skunked so far this year with the exception of a doe he shot Friday night and couldn't find. Let's tune in and see how it goes for him today................

Rain this morning…sucks. Stopped by to see the farmer where I thought my doe went two nights ago and he told me his pheasant hunters found her pretty well chewed up while hunting. He went out and put her carcass in the grass along the fence line for the coyotes. This afternoon all clears up and the winds are out of the west. I go to stand #2 and sit. I was going to hit stand #3 today, close to where the big buck beds, but the farmer cut a path from one side of the field through the creek to the other side right where my stand was late yesterday. I was fortunate enough that he knew my stand was there and took it down before bulldozing. But I have a feeling Mr. Monster moved on when the bulldozer showed up. Anyway, I climb up in the stand and spend 4 hours watching the scenery. At around 5:00 PM two button bucks come out of the woods on the north end of the clover field and start grazing. I try a few doe bleats and nothing. One bb walks to the edge of the clover and lies down. The other continues grazing. More bleats and they continue to ignore me. I’m starting to imagine they are my kids not deer by the way they ignore me so well. After 30 minutes, I think what the hay, let’s try a fawn in distress bleat. I bleat 3 times and both bb’s disappear into the woods on the right. I wait a few minutes watching the woods and the clover but nothing. Suddenly I have the urge to look behind me and there they are! Both are standing about 6 feet away from the base of my tree. One has another tree blocking his vitals and the second is standing there on the other side of a bunch of little limbs growing off my oak tree. I am trying to breathe very quietly and slow my heart rate down and keep thinking, “if they can’t hear my heart pounding, they sure as heck can hear my breathing!” Then the bb that was to the rear takes off running around the finger of trees down into the clover patch and stops on the other side of a bunch of little birch trees. As soon as he stops, the one that had the tree blocking his vitals took off through the woods and made a beeline to the first. They return to grazing and ignore all further calls. At sunset, they cut across the creek to the cornfield on the other side. As the season closed for the night, I got out of the stand and headed back to the truck. As I was putting my gear away, I was watching the deer in the cornfield when I heard a locomotive go through the timber down by the creek. I saw a huge deer move out into the cornfield. I pulled my NVG’s out of my truck to see what it was. It was a massive buck, but I don’t think he was Mr. Monster. One more day spent in pursuit of venison by a non gunpowder propelled projectile. I’m glad I don’t have to do this to eat, cause I’d be really freaking thin by now! lol
Old 10-30-2005, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: The Saga Continues....

Good story. Sorry you did not get to recover that first one. Sounds like
your in a good area, so you will get more chances.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have decided to keep this up until I get one. So if you all want to quit hearing about how I have been able to fail, yall better start praying or something. lol

However, I have to admit like many have told me, that this first year of bow hunting, I have gotten up close to more deer than in all 39 years gun hunting. It is quite the experience as I have had more adreniline flowing these past few weeks than I ever have had at any other time in my life! I love it!
Old 10-30-2005, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KickerPoint79

Good story. Sorry you did not get to recover that first one. Sounds like
your in a good area, so you will get more chances.
definately. keep with it though. it's fun even if you don't get anything.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:54 PM

I believe that is good to be humbled your first year of bowhunting...My first year I got a doe on my first morning in a stand and double lunged my biggest buck to date at 30 yards 3 weeks later. Needless to say that spoiled my as$. Now if I don't get a deer in oct. I feel like I have failed.

It is also my opinion that once god graces you with your first bow deer, you won't be quitting anytime soon after that.

Good luck
Old 10-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey AF I went out and sat in the rain this morning. It rained for about 45 minutes real hard then it quit. Well while all the rain was falling off the trees I hear something right behind my stand and I turn around and there is a really big doe but she saw me before I saw her. Oh well another missed opportunity. Well hang in there you'll get one.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:47 PM
Typical Buck

bummer about the doe but it's part of bowhuntin'....hopefully your season will turn around and be the best ever...good luck and be safe.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:46 AM

Might have looked a little harder for that deer if some pheasant hunters who didn't even know it was there walked right up and found it. JMO
Old 10-31-2005, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I don't know about N. Carolina, but here in Iowa a cornfield can easily be several hundred acres large. Like I said, I asked for permission, but the farmer had already given permission to pheasant hunters to walk the unpicked corn. He probably rented the field to them for the day or weekend to make some money. I for one, would not want to be walking in standing corn looking for a deer when there are a bunch of city boys out pheasant hunting. I enjoy life too much for that.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Saga? Or Fiasco?

Quick Reply: The Saga Continues....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.