Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is going on?!?!

Old 10-30-2005, 01:43 PM

Default What is going on?!?!

I have no idea what in the world has happened to my hunting grounds, used to be I'd see 20-30 deer in one weekend, I've hardly seen that all season. I have seen 4 bucks, but c'mon, it's getting frustrating.

Anyone else seeing a decrease in activity lately? Most people I talk to around here are seeing bucks everywhere and plenty of does they are passing up. I hunt along a ditchline which borders a field. This is the first time they have farmed that field in the 9 years my hubby has hunted it, and when the beans were in, I was seeing does consistently, but since they plowed the field and bailed it, I haven't seen ONE measly deer come out into that field. I have seen a few 200+ yds straight away from my stand, going into the swamp (don't have permission to hunt that... [:@]), but nothing anywhere close like it used to be. I have an entire scrape line (like 6 scrapes within 15 yds of each other) only 35 yards from my stand, and I am seeing rubs in the same area, probably 4 or 5, but no deer. I know they are there, so what gives?

I also have heavy trails running directly under my stand, and I know they are using them, but they've got to be running in the wee hours of the morning or midday... I dunno, but the little suckers are skunkin' me. I took a button buck the first week, but nothing has come anywhere near me since then.

Of course I don't have nearly as much time to put into hunting as I would like to with two kids and a full time job, but I'm out there every weekend. I guess this is just a vent, but I was genuinly curious as to whether or not anyone else has noticed a decrease in activity the last two weeks?
Old 10-30-2005, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is going on?!?!

I think the key is when you said they farmed that field for the first time in 9 years. It was probably some pretty thick stuff that they felt secure in. Now they are probably just comming to it at night to feed. With the rut picking up some does might run into your set up during the day with buck chaseing them. Hope it picks up for you.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:38 PM

just be patient
Old 10-31-2005, 06:42 AM

I'm a pretty patient person... I don't mind going out and sitting. In fact, I want to take a whole day and do it... I NEVER have sat all day. My husband has never sat all day out there either. There is always something that has to be done on the weekends, ya know? I wish I had the time to do it, maybe for gun season, they run crazy because of the pressure. I either have to pee, eat, tend to kids, get cold, etc... something ALWAYS comes up on the weekends, which is the only time I have to hunt. Part of the frustration too is my husband, he's just not into it this year. I think he is depressed because of the decrease of activity, he's hunted there for 9 years and filled all of his tags up until the last couple of years when the 4 wheelers came into the picture. The landowner told them to stay out until January, so I'm hoping the deer start to see it as a safe place again. To me, it's a new passion, only 3 years into my hunting career, and it seems I eat, sleep, and breathe it... I only wish I had more time to DO it.

By the way, it was very thick before, in fact, you had to have a very keen eye to see any deer movement in the tall weeds before it was farmed. The only time you could really see a deer in it is if they flicked their tail or jumped something.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:38 AM

Your stand may be alittle off. I had a friend which was not seeing movement justlike you and he made aarea change about fifty yards. He say twenty somedeer yesterday morning. May try it
Old 10-31-2005, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

You said they plowed the field? Well,for what reason would deer go out to a mud field? If you ment mowed and bailed then what type of plants and have you had a frost. I've heard that an alfalfa field, after a frost seems to take on a bitter taste and isn't as prefered until all other sources have played out later in the season.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:46 AM

I don't know how warm it is where you are but, do not move much when itsto warmout. www.pbase.com/mlo3135127
Old 10-31-2005, 10:52 AM

It was 28 degrees out Saturday morning, I thought for SURE I'd see lots of movement with that temp, coldest it's been so far this season. Guess I was wrong...

I wish I could move my stand, but unfortunately, I'm right on the edge of the property I'm on. The neighboring land owner won't let us onto his, I'm right over a major funnel, I think my timing is just off, they are either moving around in the wee hours or midday. The field, well, there isn't much for them in it right now unless they are gonna munch on the hay bails! LOL But... they used to use it to pass through, not lately, I guess they are so used to that cover that they feel naked out there. I'm tellin ya though, that dang blasted scrape line mr.mojo's got going on out there is crazy... it's like, a steady scrape for 15 yards! It's crazy, I've never seen anything like it before. It's quite odd really, and I know he's there every day because new branches are broken off of the trees every stinkin' time I check those scrapes. I started that whole scrape line with my artifical scrape two weeks ago, apparently I pissed him off, because he's got 4 or5 rubs going too.... go figure! He's obviously a third shifter!
Old 10-31-2005, 10:58 AM

Sounds like their food source has changed. Look around and see what they are eating and relocate on that pathway. Good luck...