Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about Saftey Harness and falling

Old 10-30-2005, 07:44 AM

Default Question about Saftey Harness and falling

I am relatively new to Bowhunting and not quite sure what to do if I fell from my stand. I know the full body harness will hold me up, but how do I get back down the tree if my stand falls when I do?
Old 10-30-2005, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question about Saftey Harness and falling

You have to use your imagination!
Old 10-30-2005, 10:07 AM

That's a much better problem to figure out than learning to walk and talk again. Make sure someone knows where you are hunting at all times in case you don't make it back. That's the best way.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:40 PM

Most of the safety harnesses comes with written instructions and or a video to address the issue of falling out of your stand while wearing your harness and how to recover from it. If they don't, callany of themanufacturesandrequest one or go onlline and search forthis material. I would strongly advise you or anyone to read and watch this material. But the first and foremost thing NOT to do is to panic and thrash yourself about while dangling in the air...READ THE SAFETY MATERIAL AND EDUCATE YOURSELF, you owe it to yourself as well as your family...

"Safety is never an accident"
Old 10-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

I carry my cell phone in my waist pouch just in case. But be sure to turn the ringer off!
Old 10-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Dominant Buck

I have often wondered the same thing. I do know that my safety vest and prusic knot line will get me a lot closer to the ground if I just slide the knot down I figure I could then maybe chimmey or unsnap and slide down the vest to get closer to the ground. I usually hunt 20 to 22 feet though, so I'm still probably 8 to 10 feet up. I figure I wouldn't kill myself in a controlled drop straight down with a little PLF thrown in. BUT, at 62 that's still not a comfortable thing. The other day I bought one of those rope deals that you can attach to to climb up to your hang on and climb down while being hooked up. It's like a $40 rope, but I thought I'd try and see what gives. It may be one of those deals where I shorten it some so as not to carry a ton of weight and I could use it even with my climber, just push it up as I go. Stay hooked to it and if anything happens just slowly sneak down with the prusic knot until I'm down. It's 30 feet. I figure if I shorten it(which I won't until I experiment) to say 15 feet, with my vest line I'm at the ground. Sounds better than hanging there hoping my cell phone works and I don't or haven't dropped it. Whatcha think???? I also got looking at this thing. I think I can make one for a lot less thantheysell them for.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Dominant Buck

OK, thought number 2. How about just carrying another safety vest regular prusic rope. Put a loop in both ends so you can put one around the tree, attach the prusics to your clip and stand in the loop hanging down. Unclip from your other rope, move it down, reattach, unattach from rope number two and keep doing it until you're down. You'd never be unconnected and will infact be double connected until you're stable. You could probably replace the second rope with a strap or whatever. AWE HECK.... I think I'll just do a free fall on repel...SWOOSH SPLAT.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use ¼” braded nylon rope to pull my gear and bow up to the stand when I’m tied in. I then wrap this rope up and stick it in my vest pocket. Should I fall from the stand I will first try to hold on to the tree and try to climb enough to loosen the strap wrapped around the tree. Move it down a little and continue this until I get down. If I could not climb up to loosen the strap attached to the tree I will pull out the rope I use to pull my gear up and attached it to one of the metal rings on the harness. Than loosen the straps on the harness legs and chest then slide down the rope
Old 10-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Check this out. This would be the trick for $17.
http://www.summitstands.com/productDetail.aspx?id=329145

Old 10-30-2005, 04:37 PM

What about climbing up about 12 inches, unhooking your safety harness, then climbing down the tree with your arms wrapped around it? That makes the most sense to me, and it's what I plan on doing (I hope I never have to) if the time ever comes.

Quick Reply: Question about Saftey Harness and falling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.