Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about Saftey Harness and falling

Old 10-30-2005, 04:56 PM

Default RE: Question about Saftey Harness and falling

You guys that are talking about climbing back up the tree by hugging it must be alot stronger than I am. Another thought on davidmil's idea would be too carry an extra strap and run it around the tree below you. Attach it to your harness and then climb just enough to get some slack on your rope to un hook it. You would need to be able to get the first strap off the tree, slide down to the second strap and repeat the process. Something to think about and maybe come up with better ideas anyway.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

if it comes down to it i usually have both a cell phone and pocket knife in my pocket. i would either call for help or in a last ditch effort i would wrap my legs and one arm around the tree and cut the strap with the other hand. then i would halfway slide down the tree, kinda like a fireman's pole. i may get a few splinters but i would rather have a bunch of splinters rather than a broken back.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:25 PM

Carry a couple screw steps up you should be able to make your way close enough to the gound with those. Strap on steps will work as well.

Carry a 2 way radio with your hunting party or your cell phone. Make sure you have service on your cell phone for where you will be hunting. Make sure to tell someone where you are hunting and when you will be back.

Carry a horn or Whistle for signaling to other hunters.

You can also get a Fall Guy descender Harness. I will let you do a slow controlled descent after a fall up to 20 ft.
http://integratedsafety.us/store/ind...35cf4f79b9e5ea

Have a plan to recover after a fall, stay safe to hunt another year.

CYberg

Old 10-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some states don't allow you to have two way radios while hunting. I always tell someone where I will be hunting, and that I will call him/her no later than a certain time. If they have not heard from me by that time, they will either come looking for me or contact the local sheriff's office. Either way, someone will be there. The big trick when I first started this system was to remember to call by the time I indicated. The first time three county deputies showed up while I was gutting my deer they ribbed me enough thatI have never forgotten to call again.