Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Change in Deer Patterns??

Old 10-29-2005, 10:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default Change in Deer Patterns??

I've been hunting 3-6 days a week (mostly nights) for the past 3-4 weeks, and I THOUGHT I had at least a pretty good idea of where the deer were coming and going. Every night I went to my spot, I at least saw 2-3 deer. All of a sudden, the last 3 times I have gone out I have seen and heard NOTHING. I'm not doing anything different, whats going on?? Any thoughts???
Old 10-29-2005, 11:56 PM

Default RE: Change in Deer Patterns??

the deer might have founda new way around the spot you are hunting...but its just a thought....and there might be a predator in the area too....just thoughts
Old 10-30-2005, 02:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckhuntinkg

the deer might have founda new way around the spot you are hunting...but its just a thought....and there might be a predator in the area too....just thoughts
Could also be the change in the weather. The deer now know their being hunted and are adjusting accordingly.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:42 AM

I had the same problem last year, and found out that during the day there were people pheasant hunting in the same area I was hunting, pushed all the deer out.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:08 AM
Typical Buck

I talk with my hunting buddy in se pa and he is saying the same thing. I had these deer in n. va. pegged for the first month of the season, now, I am not so sure. the white acorns are about gone from my one honey hole which we killed three off of in three days. Now, I am trying to locate the new food source. I have found a ton of acorns, but they are not white oaks. I never considered my self a forestry major, but I think they are red oaks mixed in with a smaller version of whites. sat there last night in the wind. saw nothing, but that certainly could've been my fault. started on three different trees in my climber before settling, low and unhappy.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:30 PM

Its possible that even with good scent control into and out of your stand that the deer could have patterened you. I try and hunt a stand for only 2 days in a row then switch, and wont return to it for at least 3 days. Even if you dont get busted I think deer can sense human presence and that pressure can make them change their patterns. Hope it helps and good luck.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:12 PM

i only have two stands and one is on a trail and have seen a lot of deer there, but my other one is in afunnel. i haven't seen any deer there, but i know as the rut comes this spot should be good. should i stay in the most active stand or switch over to the one in the funnel when the rut comes around?

thanks- iowa deer hunter