Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kicking myself in the a*#

Old 10-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Kicking myself in the a*#

Well sort of that is. I hunted this morning and it was great! 31 degrees, dead calm, and deer everywhere as soon as it was light enough to see. I had a decent 8 pt. chase a doe by me twice. I had does and fawns within 20 yds. on several occasions. Then, at about 7:45 a.m., I saw a 150 class buck working a scrape behind me at 50yds. I grunted, and though he perked up, he would not come in. I saw deer all the way 'till 10:30 a.m. and the I snuck out. Well, tonight I went to the same spot and had more does and fawns everywhere. Then, at 6:20 p.m., a 135" 8 pt. comes right to me with a basket rack 10 pt. behind him. I had this deer at 10 yds. broadside for the last 10 min. of legal shooting time and I chose to pass on him because of the buck I saw this morning. He ended up sticking around under me until almost 7:00 p.m. I left my climber on the tree and I will be hunting there in the morning. I don't normally post stuff like this, but I knew you guys would understand. I think my wife is getting a little tired of hearing me say "well maybe I should have...." Anyway, I just had to vent.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kicking myself in the a*#

Jeez, must be rough. Sounds like you have more action in a day then many guys have all season. Good luck tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

well I wish ya luck on the deer ya want. and after passing an a decent buck, I hope you do get another chance at him. GOOD LUCK
Old 10-30-2005, 12:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Kick hard
Old 10-30-2005, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cardeer

Kick hard
Too funny, the group optimist.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:27 AM

well this bow season my luck hasnt been that greatest so me and my dad decided to go squirral hunting this mourningso we brought the bird shot and left the bows at home and the land we squirral hunt has never been good for deer so we never thougth about bringing the bows so i was in the woods a half hour or so and i hear crunching threw the bushes and i thought it was a coyote so i stand up out of my chair to get a better shot then a 10 pointer walks out about 20 yards away from meand looks at me and keeps on walkin like it nows i dont have my bow w. me
Old 10-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you didnt live so far away I'd come over and help kick you lol. Bow hunting gets harder for me as the rut kicks in because the bucks dont react much to grunts, rattling, or anything for that matter. They are on a mission to find a breeder doe and thats it. And usually when I do see them they are chasing a doe or with a doe/does and its tough to get the doe to come to you with the buck in tow. Now after the rut its great for bow hunting if you can take the cold.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:34 AM

Old 10-30-2005, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

You Have to do what satsifies you.If you want to hold out,hold out!It is hard to relate to in my home area.A 135 class buck is a buck of several life times.Good luck to you!I hope you get a crack at the 150 class!
Old 10-30-2005, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys can all have a laugh on me. I went back to the same spot this morning and all I saw wereseveral does with fawns. I hunted a different spot this afternoon and I didn't see a deer. I'll really be kicking myself if I don't get another shot at a good deer before gun season.