Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far can a deer go with a lung shot?

Old 10-27-2005, 06:42 PM

Default How far can a deer go with a lung shot?

I shot a medium sized buck through one lung (I think). The problem is that the arrow went through and stuck in the opposite shoulder. So the arrow was stuck in it and there was no exit wound which means no blood. He saw me shoot him and he took off like a bullet. I found a few specks of blood about 100 yds away and thats all i've found. I'm wondering how far this thing could have went with one lung?
Old 10-27-2005, 06:47 PM

Default RE: How far can a deer go with a lung shot?

Well it is hard to say i wouldn't think he could go very far running, he may have went a short distance and laid down. If there is no blood make small circles and you will find him. Make sure you give him time to expire. I assume you are going back out in the morning to look for him. Good luck
Old 10-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

1 lung shot deer can go very far, and on occasion survive it.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

I shot a doe on Oct.16.I only hit one lung.She ran around 350yds.The blood had given out,and I had to find specks.2 hours later I found her.I would say they can run 300-400yds easy.More if they are pushed.I've seen double lung hit deer go nearly 150,and heart shot deer go the same.I was very suprised that this doe went that far,but they are tough buggers.Oh,yeah it seems to me like younger deer give in easier than mature deer.Hope I helped.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:56 PM

i one lunged a doe about three years ago same story she took off with the veins sticking out of her side lots of pink bubbly blood but no deer, we tracked her from 8pm untill 2am when it started raining heavily and we lost her in a cornfield about 2 miles from where i shot her, i like to think she is still alive, i hate to lose a deer[:@]
Old 10-27-2005, 07:03 PM

Deer are incredibly resiliant animals. I am always amazed at how far they run even after a heart shot with a rifle. Simply amazing. They can actually go quite far, but the good news is with that arrow still in, the broadhead is doing more and more damage as the deer runs. If you did indeed lung shoot it, it's a dead deer.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where was the Entrace hole located?

To pass through a deer and stick in the opposite shoulder, that should a be a HEART or DOUBLE LUNG, or GUTS/LIVER/One LUng. That deer should be dead pretty fast..

Old 10-28-2005, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

A LONG way on a one lung hit but not very far at all on a double lung.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

A single lung hit deer can be worse then a gut shot deer to track. Make sure you get John Trout's book on tracking. It's a must read.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

I double-lunged a buck last week with a complete pass through. He ran over 200 yards beforelaying up. By far the most I've seen a double-lunged deer run.

His lungs were completely destroyed.

Quick Reply: How far can a deer go with a lung shot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.