Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

GPS??

Old 10-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default GPS??

I think i'm fixing to buy me a GPS to help me find my way around in the new hunting club i'm in.I've been looking into the Lowrance iFinder Hunt.Anybody else have this particular GPS?If so how do you like it?I was also wondering what the Map Create USA Topo Accesseries pack was and if it was worth the extra money?
Thanks,
JE
Old 10-27-2005, 04:45 PM

Default RE: GPS??

Sorry Brother, I have a Magellan Meridian Color unit.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:20 PM
Fork Horn

Thats alright bud,thanks anyways.Anybody else out there have this particular GPS?
Thanks,
JE
Old 10-28-2005, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Magellan 300. I used to think it was awesome. Unfortunetly recently it deleted all of my way points. That includes several hunting areas in three states. So now I have to re-input all my areas. Other than that it has always been pretty good. A couple of times on cloudy days in dense woods I couldn't get a signal so that was annoying. It usually works well though.

Just one quick word of advice. I used to have a Magellan 200 and it doesn't have a digital compass. The digital compas feature is nice. If you are lost and you want to know what direction you are traveling, you will have to walk around in big circles till the unit picks up your location and then tells you your direction. I hope that makes sense. Also an annoying feature of the digital compass is that you have to calibrate the compass almost every time you use it otherwise it is inaccurate.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck

Tom
Old 11-26-2005, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry al I have is the garmin II. old unit under canopy no signal cloud weak signal.. looking to get the 130 by garmin from the research ive done it seems to be pretty good. still use my compass i'll always trust it.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:22 AM

I have the Garmin etrex Legend. It has the compass and altimeter. I love it now , but it was near worthless without the topo software that Garmin charges you a extra $100 dollars for. I keep all of my waypoints backed up on my computer. It is absolutly wonderful for hunting new areas or big pieces of land you are unfamilar with. Pricless for finding a stand in the dark. I also use it in conjunction with aerial photos online to set waypoints before i go out scouting for the first time.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:30 AM

I don't usually have a whole lot of money to spend, so i've got the magellan100. It is fairly functional, but is lacking in some areas. I love the track log, and back-track functions. I've seen some with an "instant" one button MOB (man over-board!) funtion that makes it easy to quickly add a waypoint, as well as being able to create a waypoint by inputting the Lat and Long numbers (either found on a map, or given to you by a buddy willing to share his knowledge!) The latter two aremissing from my cheaper model, And i desperatly wish i at least had the ability to input via LAt/long.
I have heard it said that Magellan and Garmin have been in the GPS buisness for quite some time now, and that while Lowrace builds a great fishfinder, they're still pretty new to the GPS Market. If you like the Lowrance unit, make sure it has a good warranty, and find a way to back up your info like akasharkey suggests.
Also, don't forget to carry a normal compass with you, it will come in handy if your unit does ever run out of juice, can't aquire a signal, any number of reasons. They should never take the place of goodOrienteering skills, only supplement them.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Dominant Buck

My Legend is having some troubles lately. I emailed Garmin but they haven't answered and it's been over a week. Glad it's not life threatening. I may buy another, but if I do it'll be color, like the new Legend C or another make. Depends on whether or not Garmin choses to answer my email. If they don't, they're history. All I ask is can they economically be fixed. If they can't, will the mapping software I have for the old Legend work with the C legend. Seems simple enough to me. Tell me about your Magellan 300 Statjunk.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:58 PM

I have an Ifinder hunt by Lowrance. I love every thing about it except 1. the instruction book is like 200 pages long( ohh ya this can do all kinds of stuff and then some ) and in my pinion yes I would by the software. The maps are descent but it makes it super easy to draw map borders and save to your gps. Since they have come out with the Ifinder hunt c you may be able to find them pretty cheap. I spent 399.00 on mine. If you have troubles with computers or any other gizmos i would have someone show you how to use it first. They can be very confusing. If you need any more help please let me know. I think this is one of the nicest gps units available.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:23 AM

I have the IFinder Pro and the Map create program. Its worth it to get the Map create just be sure to get the full kit with the card reader cuz the program wont let you use any other card reader.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.