Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is the season a bust if you don't kill a buck?

Old 10-28-2005, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: is the season a bust if you don't kill a buck?

My season is only a loss if the freezer is empty come January. For me, shooting a buck is a big bonus.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with most, a kill doesn't necessarily make a season. Several season I have plenty of opportunity at bucks I choose not to shoot and then end the season with no buck on the ground. It's still a great season.....
Old 10-28-2005, 08:54 AM

Being a newbie bowhunter, I told my teammates in this year's contest that my season would be complete if I hunted hard for 3 1/2 months and took a small doe. That said, I got my doe and now my goals have changed. But being out there just before darkness falls or right before it gives way to light and hearing the leaves go crunch, crunch, crunch - not knowing what's headed your way, a 14 point buck or a caravan of squirrles - is what makes the season worthwhile to me.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope not, otherwise I've had a LOT of busted seasons. I can understand when I read posts about people only seeing three deer a year, then I would be more inclined to have the "brown it's down" mentality. That's what my early hunting years were like, hardly saw anydeer,but that's because I was terrible at hunting and didn't have anyone to show me better, except Outdoor Life and Field and Streams. After years of hard knocks(and some better hunting locals) I usually see lots of deer. Bowhunting improved my sightings as well (and my skills). I've gotten to the place where I just don't enjoy shooting small bucks and will only shoot a buck if I want to put him on the wall. I also don't shoot does often because I don't want to drag. LOL Now that I've got my own place I'm going to start shooting a LOT of does to try and bring ratios closer to ideal. Having a deer within bow range is a victory to me even if I don't shoot. It's all fun and a pasttime that allows me to see a lotof beauty and see sunrises and sunsets.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

No Way, Hunting season is only a bust, if you don't see any deer.

If a season was a bust because I didn't harvest a buck, I'd have about 20 "bust seasons".

I've already passed a large buck (for me) this year, and so I feel that my season has been great already. A buck o nthe pole will be the topper!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Abso-fricken-lutely!
Old 10-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's all about where you hunt. Some guys have access to honeyholes and see 10-15 deer a night. With bucks all year long. Others like me have to hunt the land they have permission to hunt (or drive 2 hours to state land). For me, where I hunt, killing a doe with a bow is an accomplishment. I really think some people don't realize how lucky they are. It kind of rubs me the wrong way when some guy sees 80 deer a season and whines that his season wasn't a success because he didn't kill a trophy buck. Here in Michigan, where there are more bowhunters than any other state, and the deer are subject to extreme hunting pressure, your chances of killing a nice B&C buck are worse than any other state. You guys in Iowa need to have a little perspective....
Old 10-28-2005, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

The kill is just a bonus for me. Especialy now living away from the hunting grounds, I can't wait to just get home and be around my dad and brother and the woods. I have had excellent luck the last four years, taking an 8-pointer each year, which is pretty sweet, but there are also a few years previous with no deer for any of us. I never really appreciated the are I grew up in until I moved away from it and now I see just how lucky I was/am. Two more weeks and then home for 18 days to hunt!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!
Old 10-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've ended several seasons with 4 or 5 does and no bucks tagged. It wasn't because I didn't SEE any bucks, just none that met my personal standard. FOR ME, I don't want to end the life of a potential trophy buck when he's a 1 1/2 year old small 6 point. He could be a real trophy someday if given enough time. Dragging home a spike or small fork horn isn't more satisfying to me than a doe because I know I just killed my "seed bucks." I'll take a doe every time over a young buck.

Now when a buck that meets or exceeds my personal standards enters my bow range . . .
Old 10-28-2005, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

A bust, not quite..... but in country that live in;I believe strongly if I put the time and effort in, I should get a shot every year at a mature buck. I feel very fortunate in that respect and realize othersdon't have it as good I as do, but then again I am not living in a whitetail mecca either.I expect to harvest a buck every year and would be disappointed in myself if I didn't, because for me whitetail bowhunting is like any solo sport like wrestling for example..no one to blame but me and if my opponent out smarts me or I dont work hard enough to succeed...then I get what I deserve....a lack of effort/preperation on my part would likely motivate me to do even more for the next season...,

Quick Reply: is the season a bust if you don't kill a buck?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.