Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting A Cattle Farm

Old 10-25-2005, 09:18 AM

Default RE: Hunting A Cattle Farm

You won't catch me laughing at you. While turkey hunting on a cattle farm in Northeast MO I had a young bull run at me several times. He doesn't realize how close he was to being supper.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

not interesting at all...lol...i know they are probably just looking for food but what's going to happen when they realize this flhuntress doesn't have any to give them??
i just don't ever want to find out...lol.
last year i was bow huntin' turkeys and this bull charged me...only safe place i had was on an old trackor in the middle of the pasture...did i mention it was during a major thunderstorm!! had to stay up there for a couple hours at least...i knew i'd get zapped by lightning or stomped to death by a bull...i chose lightning.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:30 AM

THANK YOU!! YES!!!! I thought I was the only one!!! I can totally understand your PANIC!

I told my buddy that the first night I was out there that the cows chased me. HE DIDN'T BELIEVE ME! I was walking along, and I noticed one following me. I didn't think anything of it. It stopped, and then I got some distance. A couple seconds later, I hear it trotting, and I turned around to see this cow bearing down on me. What the...????
The others took his cue, and all of the sudden, there were 30 cows bearing down on me.

I didn't know what to do. I kept repeating to myself "...just a cow....just a cow....just a friendly cow....just a friendly killer cow!!!" I ran for the closest tree I could get to.

My buddy said "OOOOOOOOoooooooooooh...they probably just thought you were gonna feed them, and they wanted to be first in line". I said "You didn't see it. They were after ME! They looked like I was the only thing that they wanted to eat!" My buddy just laughed at me because he thought I was kidding. This fool who is afraid of grasshoppers, was laughing at me. At least what I was running from was bigger than my thumb! )

After I got out no worse for wear with a slightly elavated heart beat, I started to think that maybe because there are soo many young cows out there that maybe the bigger cows were being protective. It was getting dark, and I was completely camo'ed. I think they didn't know what I was, but percieved me as a threat. I dunno...but it got me wary of them in the dark. They don't do anything when I go in in the light, but the dark is a different story!

I can laugh about it now, but dang, that was freaky!
Old 10-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Usually once one cow starts following someone, they all will. They think they're getting a meal. I was just talking to a co-worker today who has cows. He says when he was feeding them grain they'd come running to the sound of his truck door shutting. Now that he's cut back on the grain they don't come as easy. They may be mistaking you for a farmer. I've never had any problems, but they didn't have any bulls in the fields I hunted.

Incidently, I may have gotten permission to huntthe property he rents (Yes!!!) He said he was going to check with the owner first, who unfortunately is in Iraq right now. [:'(]
Old 10-26-2005, 09:06 AM

In follow up on that - I think that they were looking for food now too.

I have gone right though the middle of them the last 4 nights, and they haven't as much as flinched at me. They just stare. That includes the bull thank god, which I ran into last night.

Must have been a fluke.

...and for the other guys talking about the deer being on the cattle farm. 10 deer spotted last night, and 1 really nice 8 pointer. None offered a shot, but I'm centering in on them.

thanks guys!
Old 10-26-2005, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go get 'em!
Old 10-26-2005, 03:10 PM

I would say just go in there and try to scout more and see if ya can find a good place to hunt...
Old 10-26-2005, 03:51 PM

I've had mixed luck hnting with cattle. Some are nice and some are mean. I don't even bother with bulls.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:02 PM

We hunt a cow pasture with woods and pine plantations around it and have seen TONS of deer. It is an awesome spot! The deer graze in the pasture and bed down in the woods/

We have cows and, in my experience, the cows with little ones are the vicious ones. The bulls are big babies and won't get agressive unless there is another bull close by or you push him. But be aware that there are always crazy ones -- male and female -- that just like to attack. And even the most gentle cow can turn into a demon if you get too close to her baby or between them. Just don't make sudden moves and always keep an eye on them. If one moves towards you ease away a little but keep moving.

It is freaky when they all start running toward you. My biggest fear is that one of them will have bad brakes that day!!
Old 10-26-2005, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Man ! Don't under estimate those big brown eyes!
My cousin was head butted by one of those kind of cows
(that didn't know what he was in camo!)
dang thing did just like you said,and started to follow him
then when he turned around to look at him,it charged and head butted
him in the side and broke 3 ribs!!
lucky for him he got back up and wasn't too far from the gate!![]
she a reputation as being MEAN !
Unfortunatly, he found out the hard way after he called the farmer up and explained what happen to him.
You might want to ask the cattle farmer if he has any "problem" cows??

As for the deer, look for sign of them around corner fence that has woods behind it seems they like those areas because they can come in(and exit)at 2 directions(i thinkit's the wind factor) i've seen alot of cases like that where
cattle were involved.
All in all....,be careful and be safe!
Good Luck!!

Quick Reply: Hunting A Cattle Farm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.