Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Stay, and hunt with fingers
43.59%
Go home, get release, and come back for what is left in day
28.21%
Go home, and come back later in evening or next morning.
19.23%
Stay, but don't hunt
8.97%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Forgot your release, what do you do?

Old 10-24-2005, 08:21 AM

Default RE: Forgot your release, what do you do?

I too have practiced shooting w/o a release and while it isn't comfortable w/ my outback, it can be done, and be done accurately.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:31 AM

I carry a spare release in my bow case so the worst that could happen is I'd have to walk back to the truck and get it.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

I have zero problems with using my fingers.

In fact, I make it a part of my practice routine. I'll always shoot a portion of my practice arrows with fingers, just in the rare chance I cannot use my release (forgetting it, or otherwise).

Hunting is about being prepared for everything. That can mean a backup, or it can mean having to adapt to the situation, and deal with it.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:46 AM

Mine is also strapped to my bow when it's not on my arm. I would be worried about getting bad flight shooting with fingers. My bow is tuned with a release. Fingers and fixed blades requires a different tune and spine. Also a different draw length.

Never forgot my release. I have however forgot my bow before[]. I just went back home since it was late in the afternoon after work.

Paul
Old 10-24-2005, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have no spare, and would not shoot fingers. I can't imagine forgetting it. It is part of my checklist before leaving the house.

Bow
arrows
release
license
permission slips
knife
copenhagen

anything else i can do withoutin a pinch
Old 10-24-2005, 09:46 AM

I did this very thing lastnight. I stayed and hunted with my fingers. I shoot with a kisser and had confidence that I could accurately shoot a deer if one showed up.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:49 AM

I practice both fingers and release. So in my case i would stay and hunt.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Won't ever happen, my release is just like my arrows, can't hunt without them and they are always attached to the bow, unless, of course, I have the release around my wrist [align=right]
[/align]
Plus, if I got to my stand and didn't have a release that would mean I lost my hand on the walk in. I put on my release at the truck, before I start my walk in.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

Like others i keep mine strapped to my bow but if for some reason that ones not there i keep one in the side pocket of my backpack if that ones not there i guess i'm s.o.l.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:27 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I would go home and get it and then head back to hunt. I used to shoot fingers but my bow isn't tuned for them so it would be futile to try to shoot that way. For those that would stay and hunt and don't practice this way, you may want to shoot a few broadhead tipped arrows at a target with bare fingers before trying it on a deer. You will need a couple things, a very large, secure backstop and some band aids.

Quick Reply: Forgot your release, what do you do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.