Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

any smokers ever get a buck? smoke in the stand??

Old 10-04-2002, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default any smokers ever get a buck? smoke in the stand??

im a smoker, are you?? i dont however smoke but chew in the stand and use a spit bottle capped!! i have however while just sitting pre season in a stand and smoking an 8 pointer walked right up and never seen me,, cig in mouth!! so hey you never know!!
Old 10-04-2002, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: any smokers ever get a buck? smoke in the stand??

Well I do smoke but at 4:00 am the day of the hunt I dont even look at a cig. Ive killed a nice 9pt and an 8pt, but I do not smoke in the stand.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:17 PM

I killed a doe last year right after I put one out, but that was gun season. I had two does come in within fifty yards and they never knew I was there, and I was on the ground. But thats gun hunting, when I bowhunt, after I take my pre-hunt shower, I don`t light up until I`m out of the woods, back in my truck. Gotta get close with that bow!

See you on the water and in the woods.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:41 PM

I'm a smoker and I sometimes smoke while on stand, depending on several things. If I am set up near the edge of a field hunting trails leading to those fields in the afternoon and the wind is right I smoke. If I am hunting deep into the woods I am better off leaving the cigs in the truck, this way you cannot smoke even if the urge hits ya.
Foggy mornings help hold scent to the ground and that is no time for smoking, but clear days and the thermals moving upwards (morning hunts) helps move the scent of the smoke above the deer as with your human scent. Many varibles, just use your common sense and usually you will be ok (I think!).

A short story, once (many, many years ago) while hunting along a lake's edge I was smoking late one morning when I heard a deer walking towards me in the hardwoods. Instead of putting out the cig I just set it on the back of my stand on the edge of the seat. It took the deer longer than I had expected to get within sight so I looked back to make sure everything was OK where I laid the smoke and I had almost caught the corner of a small pillow I sit on on fire.LOL (It was starting to smolder.) I quickly mashed the smoldering pillow out while the smoke was in my mouth. Killed the doe with the bow with cig in mouth.

But truth be known, I probably spook alot more deer than I realize from smoking on stand so I usually never light up when hunting with the bow. Now for gun seasons on large fields and powerlines it's a totally different story.

GB

Smack 'em where it hurts!

Edited by - GaBowman on 10/04/2002 22:46:04
Old 10-04-2002, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont smoke while hunting, I use the nicotine gum, its enough to tide me over for a good part of the day.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:59 PM

i smoke while hunting all the time. alot of times i have one lit and have set it down to shoot,i really don't believe a deer is smart enough to realize what smoke is and heck if they can smell the smoke they can smell you anyways.hunt the wind it make no difference how many deer have i killed? you ask i have 27 mounts on the wall 22 bow kills and 5 smokepoles bucks ranging from 122 to 176 boone and crockett.
Old 10-05-2002, 03:35 AM
Fork Horn

I don't see the point in going through all the trouble of getting rid of scent-soaps, shampoos, clothing washes, scentblocker suits, cover scents, lures, etc.-just to smoke a cigarette and stink the place up.

God bless,
Brandan

Old 10-05-2002, 07:38 AM

i quit smoking in july but i was a 2 to 3 pack a day smoker and i smoked all the time on stand (i would fill a film cannister packed tight with butts in a day on stand). i have killed my share of deer and i guess i will see this year if i see more deer. smoking works good for checking the wind. so far i have noticed that i do not cough like i did last year. just my 2 cents

Old 10-05-2002, 11:18 AM

i am told that if you are above 20 feet then they cannot smell it.
i do not smoke so i don't know

hunt hard hunt on eat well
Old 10-05-2002, 05:29 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: any smokers ever get a buck? smoke in the stand??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.