Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elephants w/ a Bow?

Old 10-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elephants w/ a Bow?

I'd say if you have the balls to try and kill an elephant with a bow, please video tape it! I watched a show on the Outdoor channel last winter, can't remember if it was jack brittinghams show or world of berretta, but they tracked a huge elephant and shot it a half dozen times in the brain as it was trying to kill them after the first shot.

So if your up for an adventure, I think that taking an elephant with a bow would be it!
Old 10-20-2005, 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: BOWFANATIC

They follow up with a rifle for the safety of the hunter! Even with a perfect shot an elephant can still have enough time to kill the hunter. Theyput a brain shot to instantly put the elephant down to decrease to danger.The shows that I have seen explain the process of elephant hunting.
Wrong! The first thing an elephant does when shot is turn and run. The videos your watching are white washing this "bowhunting" video with the danger factor to justify finishing it off with a rifle.
Every time without fail they turn and run huh? Must be a whole lot more predictable than most other game animals.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:23 PM

Okay, I'll ask again just in case anyone wants to answer. What is the difference in a PH putting down your bowshot elephant vs your gunshot elephant? It happens with amazing regularity even with a rifle.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

I read the same story by Chuck Adams where he said "Elephants should not be hunted with a bow" He went to some country in that I can't remember for the sole purpose of determining the effectiveness or viability of bow hunting Elephants. After a bad hunting experance and a autopsy herecommended that Bow hunting Elephants should not be allowed. I am not saying I aggree I'm just passing on what Chuck said.

As for "Early in"He is on the hary edge of being a "Anti". Polar bears ?? What other animals do you think should not be hunted??
Old 10-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey JimBow, far from "Anti" but I simply think there are some animals we should'nt hunt! The only sport in shooting an Elephant is trying not to get killed. As far as Polar bears go why would anyonekill such a beautiful animal in such a pristine enviornment. As usual man is encroching on these bears. Also we are the main reason there are problems with ice melt over a large area. Polar bears are'nt over populated either. This is how I feel and you don't have to agree so let's drop ok?