Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elephants w/ a Bow?

Old 10-19-2005, 08:16 AM

Default RE: Elephants w/ a Bow?

There is no doubt that an elephant can be killed with a bow. But when Chuck Adams writes that after his experience with an archery elephant hunt that he would not do it again and that due to the angle of the elephant's ribs that it makes it difficult to get good penentration who am I to argue. His elephant was finished off with a gun also. Of all the hunters out there he is by far one of the most pro archery. If and I say if half of all bow shot elephants have to be finished off with a gun then it is not an ethical way to hunt them.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:19 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: turtleshell

Personally I don't like killing animals that I don't eat. I have no problem with any one who does though. I also don't think that its any great thing to shoot an animal with a bow and then have a barrage of bullets come flying in to "finish it off". If that is what it takes then, in my opinion, why not just use a rifle? And I'd bet that someone killed an elephant with a bow before Howard Hill. Probably some pigmy or some native african that had killed it for food. Just my .02
I feel the same way
Old 10-19-2005, 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: BOWFANATIC

ORIGINAL: James Vee

In my opinion ,if you care at all about making a clean ethical kill onthe animal your hunting , then the bow should stay home when hunting elephant. Should be illegal period!
Do a little research on the subject first....then pull your foot out of your mouth and kick yourself in the nuts with it.
I have!

Have you smarta$$?

Show me the stats on how many elephant bow kills didn't have to be followed up with a rifle and I'll show you twice as many that did!!!
They follow up with a rifle for the safety of the hunter! Even with a perfect shot an elephant can still have enough time to kill the hunter. Theyput a brain shot to instantly put the elephant down to decrease to danger.The shows that I have seen explain the process of elephant hunting.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:43 AM

You know an interesting bit of information that no one has keyed to here? We talk about having to finish the elephant off with a rifle, but the main reason that is happening is to keep the elephant from killing anyone before it expires. It's not that the beast won't die, the problem is it may kill us or the PH first. No one is talking about the thousands of deer every year that we let lay for hours to bleed out and die after a not so perfect shot. Or even 30 minutes after a perfect shot. How many threads are posted on this forum every year about giving the deer plenty of time, don't push it. Give them time to die. And we are blowing arrows clean through them. An accepted facet of bowhunting is that the arrow kills by blood loss, does that rule change when we go to bigger animals? But then again bambi isn't going to come see how high he can throw you in the air. Silly me, I thought that was just part of the deal when you sign up to hunt critters that can kill you. All of your dangerous game can (and often does) take multiple shots to kill even from heavy rifles in the hands of a competent P.H. Should that be outlawed too?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:16 AM

Look right above your post. That was my point exactly. What you are saying is what I have heard as well. It is for safety of the hunting party that they shoot the animal not because the bow didn't get the job done. I double lung shot is just as ethical as any other animal as long as you are using the right setup.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:24 AM

Not sure what you are wanting me to look at. Elaborate.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:27 AM

Well you said noone has keyed in on the fact that they shoot the elephants for the safety of the hunter and PH. That was my point. That is what I was keying in on.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Critr-Gitr

You know an interesting bit of information that no one has keyed to here? We talk about having to finish the elephant off with a rifle, but the main reason that is happening is to keep the elephant from killing anyone before it expires.
You and I were thinking the same thing. THat is all I was saying.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:00 AM

Okay, gotcha. I was beginning to think you meant there was a difference between a PH having to finish off a bowshot elephant vs a gunshot one. I was going to have to disagree on that.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:05 AM

Also, your post was not up when I started typing mine, I got interrupted in process.

Quick Reply: Elephants w/ a Bow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.