Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elephants w/ a Bow?

Old 10-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elephants w/ a Bow?

Every animalthat reproduces needs to be hunted in my opinion. It is the only way to control the population. I know we are animals also but I think everyone that hunts can agree unless it is dangerously in risk of extinction the only way toinsure that the species can survive is by taking out the weak or stupid whatever is more fitting in this situation. I think bowhunting is the most ethical form of hunting I have ever seen. But opinions are just that.....................
Old 10-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion ,if you care at all about making a clean ethical kill onthe animal your hunting , then the bow should stay home when hunting elephant. Should be illegal period!
Do a little research on the subject first....then pull your foot out of your mouth and kick yourself in the nuts with it.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

How quickly we forget. Why did'nt anyone mention the late great FRED BEAR, he has gotten elephant and many other large and dangerous animals with his bow. Yep, how quickly we forget!
Old 10-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Before I forget, why in hell would anyone want to shoot an Elephant anyway? To my thinking killing oneshould be illegal and I believe this is the case in most places. The same with Polar Bears. There is just no reason!
Old 10-18-2005, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll put you in the same book as BOWFANATIC after making comments like that.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Put me in any book you please.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fred Bear took his elephant in Mozambique, 1964, using a 75 pound recurve. His arrow weight was something like 1200 grains, if I remember correctly. Only took one arrow and no gunshot. The whole account is in his book "Fred Bear's Field Notes".
Old 10-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

early in/BOWFANATIC, I find it a little upsetting that both of you are quick to make judgements and be so closed minded in regards to something so important. I bet if someone were to make a post stating that deer hunting should be illegal, both of you would be quick to post a response stating why it should be allowed. I have done extensive research on the subject of hunting African species, mainly for various projects in college. I don't want to post a "book" here, so I'll keep it simple. Africa has a Game Dept. that is so well organized that any DNR in the U.S. would be well served to model themselves after it. They can account for every $ spent and it always goes back to wildlife and wildlife habitat. The areas where hunting is allowed have far greater populations of game and more healthy populations at that. To answer the question "Why would anyone want to shoot an elephant?" If you have to ask, you don't "get it." I suggest reading "Death in the Long Grass" by Peter Hathaway Capstick. Yes, it would be just for a "trophy", but it is much more than that. By the way, as soon as an elephant hits the ground, the closest village is notified and they come claim the meat. It is often enough to sustain them for a month or more. It all comes down to population density. When a species reaches it's maximum healthy carrying capacity, it must be managed. Hunting is often the best way, due to the fact that it not only keeps the population in check, but it generates revenue as well. Please do some research and educate yourselves. You will find some great reading/videos about some amazing hunts, and discover that someday you may want to go on a adventure to a far off land someday. If you don't that's fine, to each his own, but don't try to take it away from those of us who do. We, as hunters, don't need to fight amongst ourselves that is just what the antis want to see.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Before I forget, why in hell would anyone want to shoot an Elephant anyway? To my thinking killing one should be illegal and I believe this is the case in most places. The same with Polar Bears. There is just no reason!
Have you ever seen what an over population of elephants can do to a land scape? Elephants can literally destroy anything that they please and do so frequently when their populations get out of ballance with the rest of nature.

Do you know how many native villagers an elephant can and will feed and for how long. An entire village can live for a very long time off the carcas of an elephant.

Do you know that many species of elephants and rhinos were on the brink of extinction before they were legally hunted? It is a direct result of hunting them that there are helathy and huntable populations of them in existance today. With out people hunting them legally and paying the thousands of dollars for the oportunity (which will cost $10,000 - $60,000), and the local governments realizing the economic benefits of people legally hunting them as oposed to poaching, the elephants, rhinos, and other animals would have continually been poached for their ivory and horns until they were extinct.

Maybe you should do some research on the subject before you go condeming those that do hunt elephants, polar bears, rhinos, etc...

Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool that to open it and remove all doubt.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the positive responses guys. If anyone here knows the positive effects of elephant hunting ask APMauroSr. He's got a ton ofAfrican experience under his belt.

Quick Reply: Elephants w/ a Bow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.