Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NEW LOCATION!!!

Old 10-14-2005, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default NEW LOCATION!!!

i just bought a new house.with it is 10 acres which then joins a state forrest.im talking pretty big woods.anyways i was out walking yesterday.it goes uphill pretty steep.(not str8 up but a pretty good slope)at first theres alot of mature hemlocksso you can see pretty well.i noticed alot of trails that are cut into the hill.i noticed a good amount of tracks all over.i also noticed a few scrape them this year and some old ones from last year.along with fresh rubs.as i get to the top theres a flat spot like 75yards then it starts going down the other side.up here there was afew oaks.i noticed alot of dropping up here and nothing on the way up???so all the buck sign is on the hill but the dropping are all up top.it has rained here in mass for over a week str8.so i havent got out there again.my ? is where do you think i should set up.in the thicker stuff on buck sign??orup top in the feed?bow starts this monday the 17th.tomorrow no matter what the weather is my stand is going up where i got 2 4pts last year.this spot is great.i take alot of deer outta there.anyways let me know what you think.i will hunt this spot as an after work spot seeings its so close to home.sorry its so long.thanks and good luck.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NEW LOCATION!!!

If it is closer to the rut i would hunt where the feed is cuz the does will be in feeding and they may draw a buck in.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

well the rut around here isnt til mid november or so
Old 10-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alot of droppings mean their spending alot of time there , probably eating the acorns. Personally , I wouldn't set up right in the middle of it. I'd try backing off a ways but close enough for a shot. For the big buck , I'd try and find one of the smaller less noticable trails (probably made by buck) on the way to the oaks ,and back off of it 15 - 20 yards or so and set up there.

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

hey bow,

thats what i was thinking.at least until the rut gets here which isnt for awhile.then i may move down lower where the buck sign is.and watch the scrapes if there getting freshened up regularly.ty