Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you guys know about "Community Scrapes?"

Old 10-14-2005, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default What do you guys know about "Community Scrapes?"

I found a HUGE scrape - the biggest I've ever seen, by far (at least the size of a full-size pickup truck) at a field edge. It's mostly cleared of grass/leaves, pawed to the mud, with hundreds of hoofprints in it.

I wish I had my digital cam. to take a picture to post. It's pretty amazing.

I've read that this is a "Community Scrape," but I couldn't get any more info.

Tell me what you guys know about these things.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:20 AM

Default RE: What do you guys know about "Community Scrapes?"

Are you sure it was a community scrape or was it where two bucks were fighting/sparring? I have seen places such as you describe where a fight took place and the area was never used again (not avoided, just the abundance of tracks does not replentish itself). I have also seen a scrape like that but they are extremely rare.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:45 AM

If it had fresh tracks in it...id hunt it like crazy!
Old 10-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

The tracks in this thing are smoking hot. There were some gnats and flies buzzing around it, so I'm guessing that there's some urine/droppings mixed in there...

Also noted were that the tracks appeared to be from several different deer, b/c they differed in size as well.

I've never seen anything like this in all my years.

I have a friend who's never killed a buck, so I'm gonna put him over it tomorrow, I think.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Dominant Buck

When I think of a community scrape... I think of MULTIPLE MULTIPLE scrapes. As someone suggested, what you're describing is more a shoving match contest. Scrapes hardly ever get much bigger than a small car hood. As far as community scrapes, I've hunted two. One had about 20 scrapes that were visible if you stood in the middle of them covering no more than 25 or 30 yards. We shot 3 bucks in 2 days.. a 12, 10 on a morning and evening huntand an 8 the next day. All were monster deer. After that all that was seen there was a little dink 5 point.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Quik, what's happening?

You sure it'sa scrape, and not a place where someone dumped a bunch of deer-cain or something like that? [&:]

Seems a little early for a scrape to be holding that much activity. If it's still active later in the season, you may have your "singles bar" for rut time!
Old 10-14-2005, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've always thought of community scrapes as being mulitple scrapes also. I've only found one, and it was a locust tree that had scrapes nearly all the way around it. Was the scrape you found under over hanging branches/licking branches? You can usuallytell if they arestripping off some bark on the branches, or breaking off any smaller limbs. So you could look closely at the over hanging branches and tell if they are using them, if they are, it is ascrape for sure!
One thing is for certain, if it is a community scrape and if it's as fresh as you say it is, someone needs to be over it ASAP, without disturbing it!!
Old 10-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

A week ago, there was a scrape, about the size of a bathtub under a low-hanging Locust branch along the field-edge.

I strolled by to see if it was still active this morning, and it was leafed over. About 10 yards away, under another low-hanging branch is this monstrosity.

There was nothing there just a week ago, just that one smaller (but still pretty big) scrape.

Mikey - I was thinking the same thing re: mineral attractant. Somebody could have dumped a Deer Co-Cain in that spot, and that could be causing all the fuss. There are only 2 other hunters that hunt the area,but they usually come in from the corners of the property, which is a hike.

I guess the only way to see what's going on is to sit there and stare at it for a day or so.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:23 PM

Hadn't thought of loosly scattered mineral, that could definately do it too. I would be interested to know what you find out.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

A week ago, there was a scrape, about the size of a bathtub under a low-hanging Locust branch along the field-edge.

I strolled by to see if it was still active this morning, and it was leafed over. About 10 yards away, under another low-hanging branch is this monstrosity.

There was nothing there just a week ago, just that one smaller (but still pretty big) scrape.

Mikey - I was thinking the same thing re: mineral attractant. Somebody could have dumped a Deer Co-Cain in that spot, and that could be causing all the fuss. There are only 2 other hunters that hunt the area,but they usually come in from the corners of the property, which is a hike.

I guess the only way to see what's going on is to sit there and stare at it for a day or so.
Worth a try, but if what we're thinking about the mineral is true, you may have company...... Can you set up in that field someplace, maybe 100 or 200 yards away and observe it for ahunt or 2 and make a move?

Quick Reply: What do you guys know about "Community Scrapes?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.