Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Works great! I've had success.
23.21%
I've heard it works well.
5.36%
Mixed results.
37.50%
Works on does only.
1.79%
Scares bucks.
3.57%
Lonely echoes. Doesn't work at all.
28.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Rattling, does it work in your area?

Old 10-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rattling, does it work in your area?

In videos it always seems that rattling works magic. I know you don't see the 14 days nothing happened, but the bucks do seem to respond at times. Here in VA the buck / doe ratio is something around 1:12, at least by my observation, or higher. The bucks don't seem to respond as well to rattling. I have had does come running in but not one buck. I have heard of bucks responding to grunts during the first of Novemberbut haven't heard of any success with rattling. How well does it work in your area and what is the makeup of the herd?
Old 10-14-2005, 10:07 AM

Default RE: Rattling, does it work in your area?

With a buck to doe ratio like yours, rattling isnt going to be very effective. It works best in places where there are many bucks. This is why it looks so effective on tv shows and hunting videos. They hunt areas with high buck populations and rattling can be very effective.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:14 AM

Our buck/doe ratio is good, and that is one of the keys. Timing is also very important, you can't rattle a buck away from a hot doe. If you are in the right area and your timing is correct it is the best way I know of to kill a good buck. It is not a "magic" method, like all things it must be done correctly or you will have mixed results.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:43 AM

works like crap in my area 1/11 doe buck ratio...Works good on the Tv shows where its 1/1.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:45 AM

works great in my area, have had very much sucess with it, and love to do it but have a great buck to doe ratio where I am at.. sweet!
Old 10-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rattlin' doesn't work in areas like ours that you have five does for every buck. Bucks are lazy, they know there are a lot of does. It might work better in the late season, when the supply of unbred does is diminishing.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:22 AM

All I can say is that rattling is amazing. Nothing I love to do more. Bangin' horns together and hearing the bucks come rugging is great. One key is to use a doe bleat with it. Then again I am one of those blessed with a great buck to doe ratio. 2 more weeks!
Old 10-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ive had sucess only 1 time rattling, ido it alot though and have confidence in it...it really depends on the attitude of the buck though IMO.

Bucks are kinda like people, someare feisty and like to fight and some are mellow and could care less.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:55 AM

I live in MD and I imagine our buck to doe ratio is pretty out of whack. Most of the places I hunt it doesnt do much. But I have one piece of public land that during the first week of November you can rattle bucks in all day long. I have had days there where I have rattled in 10 bucks by 10am. Last year first weekend in November I started rattling around 7am hit the horns together twice and had 2 bucks in range in 2 min. People dont believe me and thenI take them there and it blows them away. Other than that one area though I have had very little success rattling in any of the northeastern states.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:02 PM

Ive rattled and had bucks come in looking and ive rattled and sent bucks running..

Quick Reply: Rattling, does it work in your area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.