Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Unsuccessful but very fun stalk

Old 10-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Unsuccessful but very fun stalk

Last night I was hunting some private land that borders some public land. After about 45 minutes in the stand someone on the public land started shooting a .22 repeatedly for about an hour. So I decided I was gonna walk up the fence line that the deer cross to get into the wheat on the private land. My stand was about 2 feet off the ground (I like to get eye to eye sometimes) and I had just stepped out when I saw a doe. after about 20 minutes she came out into the wheat but seemed skiddish. Can't blame her I was skiddish with all the gun fire too. Anyway she quickly walked across the small wheat field and over a little levy with about 2 foot grass and into a really big wheat field. As soon as she disappeared, I began the stalk. I snuck across small field to the edge of the grass. I could see her back and thought she was about 35 yards. All of the sudden she starts walking straight to me. She stopped at about 30 yards so I layed down and drew my bow, got back on my knees and slowly raised up. I put the pin on her and let it go, obviously she knew I was there and barely ducked the arrow. Sorry for the long story, but it was pretty fun. Thanks for letting me share.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:56 PM

Default RE: Unsuccessful but very fun stalk

Interesting story
Old 10-13-2005, 09:21 PM

Stalks are always very exciting. Last year on a very windy day me and my friend had 3 does bed down about 75 yds away. We got down and they didn't know we were there. Well my friend put a good stalk through a creed bed to about 25 yds. and smoked her. Being on their level definately gets you pumping.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I totally agree MO, i much prefer being face to face