Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broad head brand doesn't matter

Old 10-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Broad head brand doesn't matter

Most of you here are seasoned vets, but here is a post for not so experienced.
An effective broadhead must possess three characteristics regardless of brand.

1) They must fly true and consistently hit where you are aiming.
2) They must be durable enough to stay together upon impact(I have seen some heads come apart)
3) They MUST be sharp enough to cause massive hemroging and blood loss.(Rocky mt., N.A.P., Magnus Stingers, Wasp, Silver Flamesall come SHARP as an example)

If your head possess these three characteristics and you hit them in the vitals regardless of the brand they will be effective on all game.

Andrew

P.S. The Rocky Mountain Ironhead 125 heads are the best I have used for the reasons stated above.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:01 PM

Default RE: Broad head brand doesn't matter

It is true that brand doesn’t matter, but brands typically receive common reviews in regards to the three characteristics you listed. When a brand meets my standards in these three categories with more than one of their broadheads, it is easier for me to say “I use NAP broadheads” then to say everything you just listed.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:07 PM

I think you just proved that broadhead brand does matter, at leastto the extent that the brands you mentioned all meet your criteria and others don't.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Agreed. What criteria do you use before purchasing a head? I am sure there are other heads that meet these criteria that are not mentioned in my post.

Andrew
Old 10-12-2005, 04:39 PM

I am a sponsored shooter and I have the advantage to test all sorts of broadheads, and I truly belive in cut on impact heads. Lets face it not all shots are perfect and for this reason I choose a broadhead that inflicts the most damage. With the Wac-em 100gr I made a less than perfect shot on a mule deer that turned right on release and I shot the animal at 30 yards through both hams and the arrow exited, the deer only ran 75 yds before expiring. These broadheads fly like feild points, with cut on contact replaceable blades.
AZHOYT
Old 10-12-2005, 06:39 PM

azhoyt,,
how do u become a "sponsored shooter" just currious

anyway,,
i agree with this cause my dad shoots the the broadhead that u can buy at walmart and has succefully killed deer with them,(unknown name sattelite broadhead, Eastman outdoors Tri-Loc Lightnign BH for this year) except for the sharpness cause i never got my hands on them but they shoot real well and the hold together through game.
(I am with the magnus stinger cliq though
Old 10-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I took a doe last year with a Golden Key Hornet broadhead. Probably my personal choice for a "cheap" broadhead. They retail for $14.99 for a 3 pack but I picked them up on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods buy one pack get one free. 6 broadheads for $14.99. That's a deal and they really are a decent fixed blade.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the post. I've been asking so many questions b/c i love the way spitfires fly but half the people on here say they would never use them and some people swear by them. Lol, makes my head spend, but i'll stick with them.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Saying that your broadhead brand does not matter is like saying your automobile brand doesn't matter. Would you want to use a Yugo equivalent broadhead on your next hunt?

Some brands build better broadheads than others. That's why they are more successful. They have sharper blades, stronger furrels, hold together better, etc... That's why there are brand names. So the consumer can buy a product and know the quality will be good.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah , I kind of thought the content in the message sort of contradicted the title.[&:]

Quick Reply: Broad head brand doesn't matter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.