Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

6 years and sill nothing

Old 10-12-2005, 08:36 PM

Default RE: 6 years and sill nothing

When it comes to shooting while sitting.I have found there to be little to no differnce.The only thing is to make sure you have the bow away from your stand so it doesnt hit anything after you release the arrow.I would of had 4 does opening weekend if I made sure my stand wasnt in my way.I had to shoot sitting.I would practice a few shots but like I said I find it no different then standing.I have shot more deer sitting then I have standing.I have one on my wall that when I saw him coming in my legs went jello on me and I couldnt stand.I had to shoot him sitting.Even after I made a great shot I still couldnt stand for 3 or 4 minutes.I have NO problems in shooting while sitting.I think after a little bit of practice to see if you have to do anything differently you will come to the same conclussion.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Fork Horn

Your time is coming and it will be that much sweeter when it happens!
Old 10-13-2005, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dont feel bad, it took me 6 years to get my first deer. Even after i had a nice buck during the 1992 gun season come 10 feet from me and i missed. Lol, i look back on it and the entire thing makes me laugh, heres what i learned from the experience...DOnt put doe in heat on your clothes!!!!
Old 10-13-2005, 08:39 AM

MN - First - welcome to the forum. Your post interested me because I was in the same boat as you at one time - a lot of us were so DONT be discouraged - the very good news here is if you are seeing lots of deer your doing more good things than I did early on.
Now that being said I must say I thnk a standing shot is a MUCH better way to take a deer for the simple fact that it is a natural shooting position. I always sit with my bow in my lap-arrow nocked AT ALL TIMES NO EXCEPTIONS - Do the same - you will be one step ahead when a buck shows up- as soos as you see ANY buck, slowly stand - and you will be ready, its lots easier to shoot various shots standing....Next advice is to learn to shoot faster .... develop a 'killer instinct' You said you would not shoot a buck headed straight at you - well I would - in fact the deer in my avatar did just that - walked off the trail - headed straight for me and I shot straight down to get him and did it fast...

Learn to draw, aim, release in 2-3 seconds, and PRACTICE it- draw, aim, relax,followthru all while counting out loud "one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three......by then the arrow should be gone. Pracitice this at TEN yards, to build confidence in your 'snap shooting' then move on to 20.... This will also help you to concentrate MUCH more which will eliminate the shakes etc...
Next advice - learn to DARF... huh you ask ?
D.A.R.F.-Draw, Aim, Relax,Follow thru.... I think this on every shot - DRAW the bow, AIM (put pin on target-think about opposite shoulder/exit hole), relax (am I rigid, am I torquing the bow), follow thru on my shot- (keep pin on target-dont try to watch the shot) Doing this in combo with a fast shot will help eliminate if not entirely eliminate you over thinking the shot and getting "BUCK FEVER" I never get it any longer until the arrow fllies then I get all shakey and excited !

This is my advice - sorry so long winded but try what I am telling you - it really can help........

Good luck, be safe, and keep us posted.......
Old 10-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mnhotbabe

dr.even though you poke fun i am ROFLMAO
MT I am always trying to have a little clean fun ... I think most of the guys in the forum will tell you I mean nothing by it ... I hunted 5 yrs here in Alabama before I took a decent buck and hunted very hard .. just so you know in the future ... I like to cut up some ...good luck !

Roll Tide
DD

Old 10-13-2005, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

MT I am always trying to have a little clean fun ... I think most of the guys in the forum will tell you I mean nothing by it
weren't me, i know you to well to take you too seriously,,,BTW there is still time to come top the other sideAU, you'd look good (better) in blue & orange, all that red just matches yor nekJ/K
Old 10-13-2005, 12:47 PM

practice every shooting scenerio you can think of . sitting , standind , i even practice sitting cross legged on the ground. you never know.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

ORIGINAL: mnhotbabe

I want a nice mature buck that I can be proud of.
First of all, you can be proud of ANY animal you take, regardless of what sex or how big it is.

Also, when you're just starting off hunting there is no need to go for mature bucks only. You need to start small with does and little bucks and slowly work your way up from there. I can guarantee you that there is no trophy hunter out there who started shooting monster deer right out of the gate. Everyone has to start small and build themselves up over time.

Keep in mind that a successful hunt isn't about having bragging rights to a monster buck. Its' about the experience in the field, the meat on the table, and the memories that will last a lifetime.

So the next time that spike walks by your tree, send an arrow his way and go home a happy hunter!

I COMPLETELY disagree...no spike deserves to be killed just because you are a little inexperienced. IMO you are doing the right thing. Don' sell out to becoming a "happy hunter" because you won't be if you plug a little spike. Harvest a doe and get one under your belt and some meat in the frig, and then hold out for daddy rabbit...no arguable reason not to. I harvested does for 4 years before I finally connected with a PY buck and have maintained that standard for 15 years...some years I eat my buck tag but almost all years I get a doe for the freezer. You will gain much more experience hunting mature deer period...does or bucks...let the little ones go so they can grow. No arguable reason not to.

And FYI...anyone who has a username with "hotbabe" in it, is required to post a pic of themselves.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:06 PM

I would consider that "trophy hunting" MN, but really, that's your perogative... if patience is your virtue, then keep plugging away at it, it will come sooner or later...

My outlook on it is, a deer in the freezer is better than no deer at all, so be it a button, spike, sasquwatch, doe, etc..., if I have a tag for it, it's going down (provided I make a good shot lol). I too am on the lookout for a biggun' too, but if lil' miss taste's good on my table comes along, she's a dead doe.

As for sitting vs. standing, my hunting season would have been soooo much easier had I practiced sitting and shooting as I have had a couple opportunities for a sitting shot. I just won't take it because I haven't practiced it. I say practice makes perfect, so get out there and take some shots from your toosh and see how it works out for ya!
Old 10-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

And remember, if you havent practiced shooting from a stand, you have to aim low. For me it's like 6" at 20 yards. Otherwise, you'll have that sucker dead to rights and your arrow will sail right over his/her back.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: 6 years and sill nothing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.