Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about deer habits

Old 10-12-2005, 07:20 AM

Default Question about deer habits

about 3 years ago my cousin put out a 50 lb salt block behind his parent's house.....he killed a six pointer and a doe off of that stand...since then he hasn't put anything else out....my question is......if I were to hunt the same stand he was in...would deer still be hitting that area 3 years later?
Old 10-12-2005, 07:50 AM

Default RE: Question about deer habits

Really no way to answer that without knowing more info about the place. Is it a regular travel path? Close to feeding area? Close to bedding area? There has to be a reason for the deer to come thru there, be it to go to bed, feeding area...You should get as scent free as possible, slip in and check for fresh sign, and slip back out.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:58 AM

when we purchased our land in 02 we discovered an old mineral lick. we left it for two years in 04 we added 1 bag of "stuff" and within 2 days the deer were swimming in it I dont know how different the two are but id tell him to put out another one!
Old 10-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

just hunt it
Old 10-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Who can say. We have stand locations that produce year after year as long as there's food and cover in the right arrangement. They call it hunting. Get out and see what you can find and put up your own stand. At a minimum(since this sounds like a permanent stand) I'd check that baby carefully before I went climbing up in it. In 3 years a tree grows a lot. It'll pull the nails right through the lumber. You step up on it, the wind blows and you "fall down go boom". The scenerio you gave us sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. A guy too lazy to find his own spot, and old stand and I think I'll go hunting. I don't want to be there.[&:]