Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hi tec equipment

Old 10-12-2005, 03:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default Hi tec equipment

I see a disturbing trend, It may or may not apply to you yet, but it soon will. Years ago bow seasons were established with the idea that X number of animals would be harvested by bow hunters. As well as Muzzle loader seasons. Many people avoided these seasons because of the time involved to become proficant with the equipment availibale at the time. Taking a animal with a long bow or recurve was no easy task most of the time it was a 20 yard max distance. A Muzzle loader was good for maybe 75 to 100 yards and Iron sights were the norm. Today we have Mathews ,Bow tec ect. 300fps arrow speed, Pin sights out to 70 yards and Just about anyone can within a day or twocan be ready to hunt. As a result there are way more bow hunter than ever and Sucess rate Has skyrocketed This in turn is resulting in fewer animal number and that with the combination habitat loss is starting to cause problems. Case in point. Here In Oregon we have a problem with population spiraling downward, Mostly because of preditors (cougers due to the tree huggers banning the use of dogs) and advances in equipment effectiveness, This is forcing a draw system that is allready in place for rifle hunter and will soon be the norm for archers also. If you dont draw a tag You aint hunting. that year but you get a prefferance point for next year. Some day the way things are going this will be the norm from coast to coast. Now I own a Mathews bow, and it is very deadly In fact I have killed 12 elk and lots of deer with it. I hung it up andgot a recurve. Is it harder?? You bet But what a feeling to hunt with it. It reminded me why I bow hunt in the first place. What do you think???? For me , I'll be sticking to the old way, Thats my choice but really Where do you think it should end??? Rummer is Bow tec is comming out with a 400 FPS bow that shoots flat IE. one pin to 50 yards!!! Is that really bow hunting????
Old 10-12-2005, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hi tec equipment

Well I don't think population is a country wide problem... In MD we have counties that allow an unlimited number of does to be taken... You don't even have to buy another tag... And in SC they have a rifle season that lasts from Aug. - Jan. with 2 animals per day limit... I mean I don't think that technology is keeping up with the growing deer hurds... At least not in my area... Some states do have draws... But I bet, as you stated deer population is more effected by cougers then hi tech bow hunters... JMO...
Old 10-12-2005, 05:15 AM

I'm from Maryland also and live in one of those areas that allow unlimited does for each season (bow, Muzzle, and shotgun) We do not have a population problem. I'm not sure about our doe to buck ratio but I would think we have way more does than bucks in my area.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

Interesting point, but I too have seen the glory days come and pass. The whitetail deer is a smart and very prolific animal and you may well be right, predation is a very large factor, Now, Heres some food for thought. The couger population is spreading as far east as Michigan and i think Ohio. That has been varified by road kills. I guess my point is at what point do you say this is not "really" archery hunting or /Muzzle loading. Two hundred yard shots with a muzzle buster topped with a 3x9 scope is hardly what was intended. Samewith 70 yard shots out of a 300 FPS bow. Where does it end?? Are Most of the hunters just trying to max out on filled tags?? I bow hunt because I like a challange, If its just about meat then why not do away with archery&muzzle loaderseasons and just make it any wepon and here are the max number of tag's???? Because thats about what it's comming to. IMO
Old 10-12-2005, 05:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Rich Baker
anyone can within a day or twocan be ready to hunt.
Sorry to bust your bubble, but it takes more than two days to become proficient with a compound.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:40 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: zak123

ORIGINAL: Rich Baker
anyone can within a day or twocan be ready to hunt.
Sorry to bust your bubble, but it takes more than two days to become proficient with a compound.
Ok , that was a little bit much, But lets face it You can shoot a Wheely bow for a week or two and get darn good with it. Most guys I know pull them out a week before season shoot them and make some minor adjustments and walla there ready to hunt. FYI, I have hunted with one for many years, and taken several P&Y Animals, I have been in bow hunting mag's, I am not stupid! Duh , LOL . Redneck ,well Yea!! You guys are skirting the question. How much Tec should Be in bow hunting????
Old 10-12-2005, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

I think one thing that has really got me thinking, is when I was at the Bow Tec factory and saw what's about to hit the market. If they aren't the industry leader they soon will be.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

Well I just don't see that bow hunter’s or hi tec muzzloaders are thinning the population... Just likeyou stated, the Anti's fighting for things they don't know about, lack of cougar hunting is what is hurting the population... If we as hunters are not able to control the population ofanimals and that goes for all animals’ cougar, coyotes, deer, elk, ect... They will go extinct though starvation, diseases, ect... Hunters and conservationists help the populations of animals, and animals need to be harvested tokeep populationsunder control... Sounds to me like the Anti's have gotten to your area and changed something that is drastically effecting your deer population...I am sorry to hear that, and it's ashame that someones ignorance is able to effect so much...
Old 10-12-2005, 05:55 AM

I think for the most part everyone on here practices with their bow durning the off season, they just don't get their bow out of the closet 2 days before hunting and start shooting and say good enough. To answer your question how much tech should their be...well there is a lot of good products on the market that you can purchase. The technology has increased greatly over the years its never going to stop. Someone will always tweak for come up with something better, stronger, faster, more relieable that just the wave of the furture. To me it would be a personal preference, if you like shooting a compound shoot one, if you like the more traditional archery shoot that. But as far has HI-Tec its just technology and its going to continue to advance, you just need to decide which route is best for you.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

Ok lets drop the Crap about predation ,population control and all that type stuff, that was a example of Oregons delema, And dosent apply to everyone.the question IS I guess my point is at what point do you say this is not "really" archery hunting or /Muzzle loading. Two hundred yard shots with a muzzle buster topped with a 3x9 scope is hardly what was intended. Samewith 70 yard shots out of a 300 FPS bow. Where does it end?? What Is everyone going to avoid this?? dig deep what or better yet How do you truly feel??? If its just about meat then why not do away with archery&muzzle loaderseasons and just make it any wepon and here are the max number of tag's

Quick Reply: Hi tec equipment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.