Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunt The Wind?

Old 10-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Hunt The Wind?

How do you hunt the wind? I see people write this line and throw it out as the answer for hunting deer. I have 10 stands up on my farm all for different wind. How do I hunt the wind from these stands? lol I Sat in my NE stand Sunday night and for the most part the wind came from NE. I felt the wind swirl and shift several times in the stand. For all the folks who claim they "Hunt the Wind" is not as easy as they make it sound.
I am sure though when you read the postings it seems impossible deer would never come from the down wind side, but it happens. We all deal with those encounters in different ways. I like to be totally scent free; I wash my clothes with the soap and my self. I use Dead Down Wind to help with order. I also like to use Scent-Lok from Head to Toe. I think the Head is most important. Rubber boots and keep everything in a closed container in bags.
I read how in the stand deer never wind folks that is great, but I think the most important thing is not to be detected walking to and from our stands. None of us know how many deer we spooke when we walk to and from our stands. It is been my experience these are generally the older deer that pick up our trail.
We can all call items other use as "Gimmicks" and claim we know they do not work. Great example is rattling; to rattle in a big deer in MI is very hard. The reason is simple there is not enough big boys around for competition to compete for does. The other reason is in some areas we have to many does, which makes the mature deer less active. It is true for grunt calls also. I have hunted the great state of KS with by friend and rattle and grunting are more effective there then here in MI. To rag on anything another hunter use is just plain wrong, if you do not like it that is your choice.
I hope all use what knowledge they have used in the past. Use your tricks that work for you. My Dad, Uncles and me own two farms. I hunt this spot in the middle of the farms right in the tractor trail, and a tree line runs down between two fields and meets the tractor trail right where I hunt. They all laughed at the location when I started hunting 3 years ago. Sunday I took a nice 7 pointer from the stand. That makes 6 deer in the last three years from that stand. My point is Hunt your way, and the hell with what others think!!!
Old 10-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Spike

Default RE: Hunt The Wind?

Good Post!
Old 10-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

And you do the same.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Spike

Does wind really play a role in a treestand when scentblocked from head to boot?
Does anyone use scent bombs around their stands to attract deerand mask scent? If so, what distances and how many and also, what type of scnts do you prefer to use?
Thanks
Chucker
Old 10-11-2005, 10:41 AM

I agree. Do things your own way.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:46 AM

ORIGINAL: VA_Chucker: Does wind really play a role in a treestand when scentblocked from head to boot?
Oh crud! Please don't start the "scent blocker" discussion on this thread!? [&o]

The biggest problem I have with hunting the wind isn't what the wind does while I'm on stand, is what is the wind doing when I'm heading to the stand. We don't have huge farms with hundreds of deer on them which move a mile a day. I hunt mostly small parcels where the deer, if they are around that day, are very close by.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting the wind is more important than wearing camoflouge IMO.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

I take some apple spray and those little scent bomb waffers. Put two about 30yds from my stand. 2does came right in for them last night and i made her my first!! Im gonna get some real apples out there also
Old 10-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Commond sense at last.I hunt suburbs a mountai man would get lost
Old 10-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Dominant Buck

NOPE.... it's not always easy. Sometimes you just to give it up and head for the barn. Staying just ruins the place. If you're in suburbia or near some homes or places where they get exposed to humans alot, you might get away with more because they'll accept a little overhead stink that isn't real strong. If you're in deep woods like the Adirondacks where human contact is rare.... they will not tolerate any stink.

Quick Reply: Hunt The Wind?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.