Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Unscientific Scent Elimination Spray Test

Old 10-07-2005, 11:38 AM

Default RE: Unscientific Scent Elimination Spray Test

i just started using some scent control things this season, mainly just the laundry detergent because of not having uv brightners. other than that, just the cover scent discs on my hat,and some spray, which i've questioned the effectiveness.
i've hunted for 18 years without any scent control, and never had a problem seeing or getting deer more or less than anyone else. i've taken a few big bucks, several small ones, and lots of does, all without scent control. also have had many deer walk right by or underneath me without being detected.
it seems that unless you are a scent control extremist and spend a fortune of time and $$, you're gonna have a 'scent leak' somewhere, rather than 'scent lok', making it all a wasted effort. i think it's over rated and a hugegimmick, but hey, someone's a millionare from it.
i'd rather invest my money in some good camo, warm and cool clothing, and good gear, and my time actually in the woods putting them to use. my best scent control plan is to dress appropriately and not get all sweated up heading in to the woods.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't worry about eliminating my odor but I do try to reduce it. If I can smell myself (cologne, shampoo, deodorant) then my scent must be very strong (highly concentrated) so it increases the possibility of being scented. I use unscented HS shampoo and unscented Dial deodorant. I spray scent killer on my clothes and wash them in unscented detergent. Other than that, and not wearing my clothes into the local greasy spoon, I don't do anything and don't worry about it. I had a doe backtrack me Tuesday night to my stand and didn't seem to be bothered by it at all. All this is like the people spending all the money on top of the line golf clubs when they're scratch players. Their level of play is not going to notice or benefit enough from the higher priced clubs to justify the cost. We, as consumers, have been sold that bill of goods in every area of sports. Fred Bear didn't have any of this stuff (except maybe baking soda) and he seemed to do alright.

BTW I have abuddy that has strong BO and he found the HS deodorant works better than his regular deodorant so he uses it year round. LOL.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Talondale

BTW I have abuddy that has strong BO and he found the HS deodorant works better than his regular deodorant so he uses it year round. LOL.

I'll second that statement. My old girlfriend saw me putting in on one day and asked "why are you putting deer pee under your arms?"She knew it was a hunting product, she just didn't know exactly what it was......so I had to explain..........for 4 hours .......as to why I wear this deodorant.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with you both, I to hunted for 15 years with any problems. The issue is this, we all talk about encounters we had with deer we seen. What about deer smelled us before we could see him? Smelled our scent were we walked in to the woods? Those are the encounters were I believe Scent control helps. I see more deer now than I did before I used scent-lok(hunting same farm). I see bigger more mature bucks. I never hunt a stand unless the wind is right. When I am in my stand I could take the suit off and be fine being I am up over 20 ft. It is walking to and from my stand is my big concearn. I hunt in MI were there is a bit more pressure, which makes the whitetails more nervous.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jake I have to pass some gas stick your nose down buy my butt and I will let one rip. I did and Jake smelled nothing.
Loud ones don't stink though right ? Bowhunters, gotta love em.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

It was silent
Old 10-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree