Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Making bad shots need help

Old 10-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Making bad shots need help

NEED HELP PLEASE for some reason when deer are in close i tend to rush the shot but when they are out farther i take my time pick a spot and dead deer.Icause i made a bad shot on a doe last night and lost her and feel terrible this is the first deer i have lost but not the first bad shot i have made that way any suggestions would be great.thanks
Old 10-07-2005, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Making bad shots need help

Don't shoot until that "gotcha" feeling happens. Simple, but effective.

You are rushing your shots because there's a live animal just feet from you causing you to fear getting busted. If you get the deer in that close in the first place, then manage to get to full draw and the deer still hasn't busted you, you have done everything right up to this point and have all the time in the world to make a clean shot. Breath, settle the pin, don't rush. It only takes a few seconds.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Calm down, its only a deer. Try even not taking a close shot or 2 until you can control your emotions.
You just hit her last night and call it a loss already? How long did you look? Just curious.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

Your probably rushing the shot on the close ones because you feel you can't miss cause their so close. You need to pick a spot( hair, dirt, different coloration) something to get you to aim and to follow through to. Allot of times follow through is what goes away on close shots because it seems to happen so fast that a person seems not to need to follow through as good. Keep that pin on the deer till the arrow is through it!!!!!

Sorry for your loss......Suck it up and get um next time!!
Old 10-07-2005, 08:21 AM

I noticed that when the deer is closer you tend to have bad form.

When the deer is further out you draw your bow level like your at the range. When the animal is right under you you need to draw parralell and then bend at the waist at full draw.

I have also made a bad shot because of this. I drew my bow while it was pointing at the animal rather than drawing first and then bending at the waist.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Calm down, its only a deer. Try even not taking a close shot or 2 until you can control your emotions.
You just hit her last night and call it a loss already? How long did you look? Just curious.
Yeah.........I missed that.........Maybeyou should be out looking still!!
Old 10-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

I shot her at 5:30 didn't get out of my stand and look til 7:30 looked for two hours lost blood rained last night went back this mornig for one and a half hours nothing!

Old 10-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Take some morphine before yougo out to prervent panic. relax my friend good griefit is only a deer
Old 10-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

yeah but she also walked away with my arrow with quik spins,wrap and lumenock which as you see didn't help.$
Old 10-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Dominant Buck

I guess I'm too old. When ever I see someone come on this sight and has his/her first post..."Gee I hit one and lost it"... well, I'm just a skeptic is all.Especially when the same person claims to have shot a lot of deer at long ranges with no problems. I'm sorry, but this is almost an impossible scenerio, "Hunter has problem with slam dunk shots, long shots are a push over"!!! It's either someone trying to make conversation or someone making stories. AND... no one from the "BROX" knows anything about hunting.[8D][8D] QUOTE: This is the first deer I've lost.

It happens. What part of all the other deer that you didn't loose was unsatisfactory?????? You come in here with a one time occurance and feel the need to spread the misery??? You know what you did wrong if anything. Don't do it again.

Quick Reply: Making bad shots need help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.