Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

help with fallrestraint

Old 10-06-2005, 10:07 PM

Default help with fallrestraint

Haven't ever used one, I watched the video and they told me nothing. I have a full body harness. My teather line on the end has a weird looking metal hook. It has curls on each side of the metal. This is connected to a rope. From the video this rope is a moutainers line used to climb the tree. The problem is the rope is only about 4 foot long. I think its suppose to go around the tree but there is no way to fasten it so it will stay AROUND the tree. I know I am jus tnot seeing the whole pic here, can anyone help?
Old 10-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: help with fallrestraint

I seen one of them and they did look confusing
Old 10-07-2005, 04:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hmm, the harness that came with my Summit had a rope with a Prussic (spelling?) knot on the end. That could be what you are referring to. The video supplied showed how to rig it around the tree but, admittedly, I don't use it myself. I opted for another harness that uses a strap instead. If I can I will pull out the video and see if I can find the specifics.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

Is this a Summit harness? If so, you''ll take that green rope and wrap it around the tree and then feed the the end with the prusic knot through the loop and snug it to the tree. You'll use the prusic knot to hold the rope in place on the trunk. Now, those metal hooks on you harness strap, you'll hook those to the loose loop hanging off the middle of the prusic knot. Make sure your knot has six loops wrapped around the rope itself. It'll need to have those 6 to tighten up in case you fall. That knot it designed to only tighten when downward force is applied, such as a fall. I like the supplied green rope with my harness, it's easy to use while climbing up/down with my climber.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:57 AM

ok so I take the green rope (one end has a loop and the other has a knot tied in it) adn put it around a tree and thread the knotted end through the looped end? Then I tak the prusic knot and put it on the knotted end so the knotted end won't come out of the loop? If thats the case then I got it. I pulled this harness out, never bene used and it was like trying to figure out one of those puzzles you see at the cracker barrel
Old 10-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

it was like trying to figure out one of those puzzles you see at the cracker barrel

Sorry, but I just had to say that this line cracked me up.

How true it is.

No wonder why these manufacturers are getting $100 a crack for these all-in-one saftey harness vests!

Old 10-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: madboarman

ok so I take the green rope (one end has a loop and the other has a knot tied in it) adn put it around a tree and thread the knotted end through the looped end? Then I tak the prusic knot and put it on the knotted end so the knotted end won't come out of the loop? If thats the case then I got it. I pulled this harness out, never bene used and it was like trying to figure out one of those puzzles you see at the cracker barrel
Sounds like you're good to go. If I were you, I'd get on summit's website and order one of the black clasps and use it for the clip to connect my harness to the prusic knot. It's probably a little easier to clip on there than those metal hooks they supply. They are part # 83011
Old 10-07-2005, 11:58 AM

the prusic knot doesn't need to be against the knot at the end of the rope. it's designed to tighten on the green rope with pressure. i keep mine close to the loop around the tree so if i would fall, it will grab sooner, rather than fall 5 ft beforethe knot at the end of the rope is reached.

i thought the green rope was a good idea. it's easy to move up or down the tree as you climb/descend. that's when you are most likely to have a fall and should definitely be used then.
it's definitely a puzzle the first time, but after that, it's pretty simple.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

I use the same harness. Take the Rams horn (Curly metal thing on the end of your harness) and put it through the prusic hitch. Pull the rams horn tight so the two sides of the prusic hitch are in the two sides of the rams horn. Bam done. Not hard at all. I watched the video and it was fairly easy. But I don't know if they chenged the video in the last couple years.