Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mountian Hunting... Help... Confused...Need advise!

Old 10-07-2005, 09:08 AM

Default RE: Mountian Hunting... Help... Confused...Need advise!

are you on private or public land???

I typically don't use any scents until rut...then I use them after I've hunted the stand once.

B.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

There may be a "LITTLE" sign on the mountain, but I doubt you'll see much. YOu say it's hot. EXACTLY.....the water is not on top, the food is not on top...THEREFORE, the bucks are not on top. They're right down there with the does. They travel to the mountain only as a last resort or when pushed. They don't like lugging that fur coat up and down the mountain anymore than you want to lug that deer stand uphill. They bed closer to the food and water, just like the does. When the undergrowth dies back and they start feeling pressure, and food isbecoming scarce,and the acorns are falling, well they'll move more and go to the mountain. They are still grouped up, but not for long. They will start spreading out and becoming a little testy within the next week. AND YES, they are a little more nocturnal right now because of the heat. You don't always have to walk to the top of the mountain Grasshopper. If you still have standing corn they're probably bunched up in it. They don't leave it much. They have food, cover and all the bug spray the farmers use kills the ticks and discourages the biting insects. If you don't believe me, just walk out in a standing corn field. They'll also bed up in tall beans, but not as often. Not a bug to be found. As far as scents, NOTHING. Stinky free and hunt the wind Grasshopper.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:54 AM

I dont know about your part of Va but here there isnt anywhere there NOT on a mountian, and the top is usually loaded with acorns. These hills just keep rolling!! Thats why saddles and benches are such good funnels. They're nice and flat and normally loaded with cover and acorns. Bed to feed routes are the ticket!