Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rocket Hammerhead test results, pretty good

Old 10-03-2002, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rocket Hammerhead test results, pretty good

Rocket Hammerhead 100 grain 3 blade

Orange: 3 points
Plywood: 2 points
Steel drum: 1 point
Accuracy 5 points
Blades: 3 points
Cutting diameter: 5 points
Total score: 19+ with a blade sharpness rating of C

The Rocket Hammerhead is a three blade mechanical with a 2” cutting diameter. The blades deploy in the typical manor in that the swing open on impact. They are held in place by a small rubber band. This system works very well. They also open quickly and reliably.
In my tests the Hammerhead did better than I thought it would, and in fact, given what the head is made to do, I was pretty impressed with it. I used to not be a big fan of heads larger than 1 ˝”, but as I learn more, and test more heads that is changing.
In the orange the head fully opened by the time it exited. Heck, it just about cut the Orange in half! The exit hole was very impressive. In the plywood it penetrated up to the back of the blades. All three blades were open, but two of them had “curled” up. They really looked like those curly fries you get at some of the fast food restaurants! The important thing is that all the blades stayed on the head. In the steel drum the Hammerhead penetrated the first side, although just barely. The head made it through with 4” of arrow shaft. Again two of the three blades curled up, but the tip and ferule were in good shape. For the record, I did use a different head for the plywood and steel drum tests. I could have changed blades and used the same ferule, but the blades are a bit of a pain to change, and I don’t feel anything would have changed. The accuracy of the Hammerheads is excellent. They shot and grouped right with my field points.
I know these heads did not “score” as well as some other mechanicals, but as I always say, the entire story is not in the score alone. The blades do bend every which way, but they stay on. I believe the fact that the blades do bend as they do helps such a large head to penetrate better than it would if they were stronger and less flexible. My scoring system gives credit for the size of the cut, but also takes away points for any damage to the head. It also puts a premium on penetration. In my opinion the Hammerheads penetrate very well for the amount of blade surface they have. The also cut a HUGE hole in soft tissue, and I believe the blades would bend around large bones. The Hammerheads are a much better broadhead than the score shows, or than I would have originally guessed at first. No they are not the most durable head, and you are not going to get the super amount of penetration you would with the Nail drivers, but they do cut a massive hole in soft tissue, and will “work around bone”. I believe that 60 ft/lbs of energy would be the minimum amount needed to make these heads work on deer size game, and I would not use them on anything larger than deer. That said if your bow is tuned well, and you have at least 60 ft/lbs of Kinetic energy I think the Hammerheads will work super on deer. Keep in mind though the larger the cutting diameter, the less penetration you will be getting. I feel this head is really intended for those bowhunters with plenty of kinetic energy wanting more tissue damage and less penetration in the ground after the shot.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 10-03-2002, 05:46 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-03-2002, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Rocket Hammerhead test results, pretty good

Thanks for posting the info 5shot. I shot some of the 4 blade models into somewhat of a different medium last night and experienced the same thing....curly fry blades. Other than that the head performed very well. I am going to look into obtaining some replacement blades though as I don't want to ruin any more heads before the season.

Old 10-03-2002, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't agree more 5'er! For those who have the Proper KE this head is one of the most deadly out there. Short and easy tracking jobs have been the norm with this head.

Old 10-04-2002, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I must admint, I was suprised by these heads. The penetrate better than I would have thought, and I have found that by using a redi-edge Knife sharpner you can get the blades shaving sharp with just a few strokes. I may get a pack of the sticknines and try them out. I believe they are nothing more than a Hammerhead with a pathfinder tip.

Old 10-04-2002, 06:04 AM

Hey 5 shot Ive shot the hammerheads for years now, and have had 100% succsess rate with them. I even made a couple bad shots. I hit one buck about center mass and took two ribs going in and two going out. The buck walked away as nothing happened but fell over 60yds away. They put an incredible hole in deer, and every shot was a complete pass through. The blades do bend alot, but rarely break. I think thats good though to get aroung heavy bones. Also about 6 of my friends also shoot them and never a complain just great success. Hey 5shot thanks for the test man, your awesome.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matthews, thanks for the information. They seem to be a pretty popular head, and most people that have tried them really like the way they preform.

Old 10-05-2002, 11:44 AM

I killed several deer with the hammerhead before awitching to the miniblaster.Prior to that I shot the big vortecs.I felt the miniblaster was better suited for my KE.The only drawback I've found to the rockets is they are pretty much disposable as the blades are a pita to change.I would like to see an allen head instead of the slotted head on the blades.As long as a deer isn't hiding behind a 55 gallon drum I should be okayThe rockets fly great and they make an awesome wound channel.

WHACKEM N STACKEM
Old 10-05-2002, 05:37 PM

sweeettttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt..i have a few models from this company and they r great heads on deer size game.