Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground vs Tree stand hunting

Old 10-05-2005, 07:23 AM

Default Ground vs Tree stand hunting

Just curious how often you hunt from the ground vs trees? For me it is about 50/50. I prefer to hunt in a tree but a lot of times there just is not a good tree in a spot I want to hunt, so I hunt from the ground then.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ground vs Tree stand hunting

in archery season i dont thing i ever hunt from the ground, but during rifle season i hunt from the ground about 98% of the time
Old 10-05-2005, 07:39 AM

I let the area dictate the use of a stand. If there is good cover low and I can sit slightly up or down hill to make use of thermals, then I sit on the ground. Using a stand works against thermals in the evening, and could use the wind against you. If you sit on the ground, you can move 50 yards and turn the wind into your friend.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm about 95% tree. However I did take a deer from the ground the other night. It was cool. A whole different experience.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:47 AM

I hunt from the stand always but the other night I shot 1 deer from my stand climbed down and shot another one from the ground!
Old 10-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

During archery it would be either 80/20 or 70/30 in favor of the treestand. Come rifle and our late season archery it is probably closer to 50/50 or 40/60.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:03 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

My son and Imostly hunt from the ground for bucks. We have a few stands up but rarely use them. Few trees and I would rather hunt where the deer are at. Get as close to a bedding area as possible without getting busted. Hunt the small draws that lead into the bedding area. They rarely bed in the few trees here.

No mask producing trees in my area, most were planted for wind breaks.
Does seem to like going to the trees to travel though them. I will use a stand to fill a doe tag butmostly take them from the ground also.

Tim
Old 10-05-2005, 11:06 AM

I always hunt from a stand, I can see so much more from up top.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Mine would be maybe a couple times a year from the ground(special places). Something like 20 to 1 as far as tree vs. ground.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:22 AM

I love my ladder stands but the most exciting hunt for me is on the ground....so I would say I'm 60/40 for the trees.

Quick Reply: Ground vs Tree stand hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.