Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground blind, need a few tips

Old 10-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ground blind, need a few tips

I have located an area that is holding a good size buck based on the size trees he is rubbing. There is a heavy concentration of rubs in this area and the trees are large, so i feel good about the spot. the only trouble is, there are no trees suitable for a stand. The only option i see is a ground blind, which i have never done before. As you will see from my other post, the temps in florida are high and scent control is a real issue, but ground hunting is my only choice.

pls provide suggestions/tips for getting on this buck, particularly as it relates to setting up and hunting from the ground. The cover is pretty thick, though i have a few clear lanes that would permit a clear shot, so i thought i would set up with the wind in my favor, behind a bush or so.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ground blind, need a few tips

Hi there, I have a lot of time oput in on hand made ground blinds. What you need to do is find an area that you have some good sight in several directions to your sides and in front of you. Try to pick a spot that you can take pieces of limbs and build a blind from natural material. Once the frame is done, then cut some foliage and place all around the blind. The idea is to hide yourself from the animal as so it cannot see you move and not at all from behind you. Hiding in the brush will work, but watch out behind yourself.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Are we talking about installing a commercial blind or creating your own?
Old 10-05-2005, 03:30 AM
Typical Buck

just a simple ground blind, which may be as little as sitting behind a thick bush, but one that allows visibility. never really hunted from the ground, other than slip hunting, so i was looking for tips related to what works and what doesn't
Old 10-05-2005, 04:06 AM

I also live in Fl. and hunt the ground a lot; I mean a lot. I use blinds that I build myself fro cabage and palmato fands and limbs.each time I go back to the blind I add a few more fans and limbs to them.I have a couple that I made from the alunumin rods from TV antini's and camo cloth. they are real light and you can roll them up and tie three together in a bundle.the rods stick into the ground and the netting I tape to the top and pull tight.they are 10' long,that way all three will block you in all the way round.you can hang a little moss along to breake it up.you can put it around a few trees to give something to be behind when you draw.
I have a new store bought blind for this year,we will have to see how it works.sets up in about 30 sec.sent control also.
I use several perminate ones that I made from real strong cord and hang the limbs from artifishal Christmast trees,you know the green ones with the metal wires in them.I watch the garbage pickup just after Christmas and get several each year.(never ending supply).

just use what ever you have handy.just think about what looks nautral and go from there.I use a lot of different stuff for a blind.I have one that has two sides made from 2x2 made into a horseshoe with camo burlap stapled to them.I back it up to a palmato patch and stick a few fans in front.
Lots of things you can use.also be sure to use cover sents and a lot of sent-a-way spray.I buy it by the gal. jug (IT WORKS VERY WELL ; EVEN IN FLA.) If there are any palmeto berries around,mash them and boil them , strain real well and put in a spray bottle. bay leaves works real well also if boiled and strained.
dog fennels beat on you shoes and pant legs will cover you for about 2 to 3 hrs.
try anything that has a loud sent about them.

hope some of this will help; I know it has helped me over the years.
I have taken 4 bucks this year with the bow. none of them never knew I was there till the shot,and two were down wind when I shot them.