Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

5 hrs and $72 later

Old 10-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 5 hrs and $72 later

Teejay I did not post about my time to get into a debate about what we should be doing with our time... I was simply saying that I would rather spend the extra few bucks, then use my time building the stands. And from my point of view it isnt that much more expensive... IMO Time is the most valuable asset you have... So to me it isn't worth 5 hours of my time to save $40 or $50...

And really besides the time is the safety... I mean API spends alot of time with Saftey and design... Not to mention the weight factor...The API is made of aluminuim not Steel... There are many reasons not to build your own stands, but if you feel that saving the $50 out weighs those reasons... Then have at it, more power to ya...

And no I have never had any problems with my Steps...
Old 10-04-2005, 12:04 PM

Thats nice! wish I could do that!
Old 10-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

And no I have never had any problems with my Steps...
In 14 years of hunting I have been able to say that...up until this season. While out scouting and triming lanes, I had 2 go on me while climbing up the tree. Trust me, it isn't fun. I think my arms stretched about an inch catching my fat butt.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Teejay - just be careful of one thing - if you make a stand for somebody, and they get hurt while using it - you could be sued. Just watch yourself, and good luck.

I'd probably build my own if I had more time.

There's nothin' wrong with saving a few bucks - my point is that I use cheapie lock-on's that I can't even build for $29. I can't figure out how they can sell 'em that cheap, really.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not building them for anyone but myself. I am building them for something to do! I personaly cant sit still for nothing! As far as the one i built, trust me you are not going to buy it for $29 no way no how! I do have a couple i bought for that 30-40 dollar mark and the do work but they are not going to have a 25"x27" platform with 2 ratchet straps and a 18" climbing stick w/ 3 ratchet straps!
Old 10-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pics sounds really good. I'm all about making some homeade stands!
Old 10-04-2005, 08:56 PM

GOOD FOR YOU TeeJay, SOMETIMES WE MAKE THINGS LIKE WE WISH THEY WERE DONE.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I already put it out, I do not have a digital camera so you all have to wait till the weekend. My cousin i hunt with has one and i will get some pics and post them

Old 10-04-2005, 09:37 PM

I know guys who build ladder stands, maybe for abut 50 bucks in materials (Can't remember exactly) and they are huge, monstrourous things that are probably the safest thing you can imagine.. You also need two people to get them set up (Or only hunt edges and use a tractor or something).. They are comfy, and I have thought about making somebut I am generally pretty beat up because of my job and the though of coming home and spending a few hours doing wood work or metal work just doesn't appeal to me very often..

I tend to hunt the stores after season, you cang et a lot of nice stands for 50 cents on the dollar often as the stores are trying to blow out their inventory..I want to get about 10 stands set up this next off season.. Hope the sales are good, lol.