Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Setting up close to bedding area.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Setting up close to bedding area.

This is my first year hunting a new property and I know there are big bucks in the area. I know where a group of does have been been bedding in an over grown thicket/gass field. There is one small thick bush on one side, and another larger more open bush on the other edge. Normally I would set up and do a ground sit, but do to the grass height 3-4ft there isnt really a choice. I was thinking of hanging a tree stand 50 yrds into the open bush, approx 100-200yds away from where they bed. This will be a one shot stand and I would like to save it for a day on my week off (end of october) and do a dawn-dusk sit. Any suggestions about hanging the stand w/o disrupting the bedding area to much. My guess would be an hour or so before sunrise although im not keen about fumbling around in the area trying to hang a stand in the dark, 1-2 hrs after sunset hoping they have left to feed. Then I would be giving the stand a few weeks before my hunt. Any suggestions if this could be an option? I would love to see the action if I could get a stand up near these thickets, theres thick well used matted deer trails going through the grass.

One last thing to any of you bedding area hunters, when would the best time to enter my stand be for least risk of screwing up my full day hunt? It could be a little noisey going in before light, maybe wait just long enough to see where im stepping to keep noise minimum? Any ideas or help would be appreciated, thanks.

Heres a shed the owner found this spring. I held itup to my last yrs8pt buck that scored 96 to compare.I use to hunt a neighboring property and have missed a few opportunites at some nice ones.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Setting up close to bedding area.

Sry try this pic again

Old 10-04-2005, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

bump... anyone hunt bedding areas? LOL
Old 10-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in an agricultural/suburban residential type setting. An area with a fair amount of farming activity, but also quite a bit of rural residential development. Needless to say, the deer are accustom to people. You could bump deer without changing their patterns or habits a whole lot here. However, bedding areas are another matter. I take great care and caution to avoid disturbing an area I know to be a bedding area and do not tolerate people from the area disturbing it either (trespassers). I set my stands up a month before season, so the disturbance is keptto a minimum. And I have stands within 50 yards of at least one bedding area. But I never hunt it unless the wind is right. In your situation, what I would do here in my area is to set the stand before day light. A climbing stick will help. And hunt it the day you put it up. In my humble opinion, that is the day your chance of being successful would be the highest. However, keep in mind that my opinion was free and there are as many opinions as there are hunters. And we are all right...har har.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:11 PM

ive been waiting for someone else to put up somthing about hunting near bedding areas!!!..yes i do..in fact last weekend i got right up on top of there bedding areas..i went in there at about 5:30 and at 7:50 that ol 10 point came walking about 30 yards from my stand heading right towards the bedding area (which i hunt)..he was toast..but if you want to know if hunting near bedding areas at night is a good thing..yes indeed it is..
Old 10-04-2005, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can do it man, but you have to go in in the middle of the day and be as quiet as possible. Get in and get out.