Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Topo map readers.......read this.......

Old 10-03-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Topo map readers.......read this.......

Keep in mind this is relatively swamply terrain with lots of sloughs, creeks, etc running through it...... I've never been much of a topo reader.... So help me out....... Does anything jump out at you by looking at the few contour lines you do see...... I believe this is a 7.5 map..... Not sure though, comes from MapCard if that helps at all.....

Do you see any ridges, etc?

Old 10-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Topo map readers.......read this.......

Only a 10' variation in terrain on this area. Based on the swampy areas I've hunted, if you're not going to get into the middle of the swamp I'd pick a spot in the 135 elevation on the edge of the more swampy stuff (blue grass symbols). Deer prefer dry ground if they aren't feeling pressured but want the refuge of a swamp near at hand. If there's any oaks right on the edge with some elevated dry ground with some southern exposure I'd look there. I'd pick that upper right quad between the two main creeks or along that minor creek in the middle row near the Number "33". If you've got some hip waders I'd hit that elevated circle slightly above "33" or the other next to the stream an inch above it. Just my blind guess.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Double Creek, Look at the lower right corner. You will see a gentle slope going down to the swamp (from southeast to northeast) and then a big drop in elevation. based only on your choice of map features I would check this area out. It is the closest thing you'll find in this square to a ridge line.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:50 PM

Looks like a dendritic stream drainage network to me...hydrologist by trade, had to say it.I've hunted many swamps and this may sound like whole lot of BS, but here's my take on swamps and lake edges. If the swamps have bottomland oaks, hunt the wind blown banks, just like you were fishing. A prevailing wind of several days will blow all the floating acorns and other food sources towards the receiving bank. Find out where all the mast is accumulating and hang a stand. As you might expect, this only works when the nuts are dropping, which should be now. The deer have played this game before, they aren't stupid, they know where their food went. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:59 PM

The wooded point jetting out into the swamp in the lower right corner looks interesting. As does the swamp point sticking into the woodline right next to it. I would look at those 2 points, and in between those 2. Those are great funnels.