Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone here use Surefire flashlights?

Old 10-02-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Anyone here use Surefire flashlights?

Wanting to purchase a new flashlight for hunting and seen the Surefires and seen where they are suppose to be the best. Just wanted to see if anyone here uses them. Thanks
Old 10-02-2005, 08:07 PM

Default RE: Anyone here use Surefire flashlights?

I don't have any, but my best friend has a ton of them. His grandparents are Surefire dealers at gun shows. I've used his lights a lot and they sure light up the woods. I would definately use them. They make some pretty small ones, too.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:11 PM

My buddy has one. Its amazingly bright, words can't really explain how bright it is you have to see it. The only problem is the batteries don't last very long at all, and they're kinda hard to find. If your going off the beaten path bring extra batteries because your not going to be able to find them at Sunoco.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

I just purchase one this year and a blue filter. Word has it that the blue will make blood glow for easy blood trail. I hope to try it out soon.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:21 PM

I have two. One of the originals and a nitralon type. One is plastic and one is alluminum. They both work very well and the batteries last approx. 1 hour of run time. I have a blue filter which only makes the blood appear black. I'm not sure how much it helps. The lights are compact and are very bright for their size though. Buy the batteries from Surefire. One case of 12 for 15$. These same batteries cost 4-6$ a piece in the store.

You might want to consider the new lights from Browning at Cabela's. They have the same power for much less cost. My friend bought one and it is very nice. He bought one with LED's and a 65 Lumen light for what I paid for one plain 65 lumen light from Surefire. The LED's will light up your trail and last hours and hours while saving the bright light for lighting up whole areas. Have fun.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Dominant Buck

The Surefires are rediculously expensive. I mean, even their little pen light sizes are $75 bucks to 100+. No flashlight is worth that. I have the Streamlights which aren't cheap themselves, but no where near the surefires.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

The surefires are absolutely awesome. Right now at bass pro they have the small ones at bass pro for 40 bucks. I've never owned a brighter flashlight.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Honestly no one needs a surefire except for emergency, tactical and self/ home defense situations.

They use very powerful bulbs and are intended for short periods of use. Primarily emergency situations, signaling, and to temporarily blind an intruder or would be attacker, etc. They are not meant to light up a trail or search for a down deer in the woods that could take hours sometimes. The batteries do not last near long enough.

You would be much better off with one of the many LED lamps on the market today. They can be had in just about any configuration and will be plenty bright enough to find your way in the dark.

A 1 watt LED headlamp will put out about 30 lumens and run time will be about 30 - 40 hours.

Gerber makes an LED headlamp specifically designed for hunters. It is called the meridian.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:52 AM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

The Surefires are rediculously expensive. I mean, even their little pen light sizes are $75 bucks to 100+. No flashlight is worth that. I have the Streamlights which aren't cheap themselves, but no where near the surefires.
I feel the same way $50 or more for a flashlight?!?
Old 10-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

My dad and I each have one. They are great but I would not use it for walking out to your stand we use them for tracking. They are great because they dont have a black spot in the middle of the light. They are expensive but are great for tracking.