Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

opening day doe and I miss!!!

Old 10-02-2005, 12:52 AM

Default opening day doe and I miss!!!

I can't belive to just say I missed doesn't let you get the full effect of what I am feeling so I am going to tell you the whole story. My friend dan and I where out hunting all day. We didn't see a thing so we went to this spot behind my house and set up at the bottom of a small hill at the edge of the woods. Well to speed things up we kept sitting there and it kept getting later. Finally it was getting dark enough that both of us decided to call it a day. So we stood up and I began folding my blind we all of a sudden Dan whispers to me don't move! So I freeze and slowly look to the left and I see six deer standing on the top of the hill. I was in such a fix I had already but my arrow back into by bow quiver and it was laying on the ground. Plus I was holding my blind and if I let go of it it would spring open. So I slowly crouch down to get to my bow and I sat on my blind. Well about that time they all took off so I took the oppertunity to grab my bow and nock an arrow. My friend gave out a few doe bleats and mangage to get 2 nice sized does to come back. Well I was still sitting and there was no way they were coming in any closer so I asked dan how many yards he figured it was and he said about 45 yard so I took the shot. The doe jumped up and ran of into the woods and we walked up and found my arrow like right at the feet of where it was standing. lol I didn't say this was going to be a short story. I am guessing it was more like 55 some yards. All though I missed after going through all that I am still not mad completly I am a little but just being out there is a great feeling.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: opening day doe and I miss!!!

Get em next time.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wont be your last time
Old 10-02-2005, 03:15 AM
Typical Buck

So it's dark, your buddy tells you it's 45 yards and you let 'er fly finding out later it's more like 55 yards...[]Are youpretty dead on in the dark at 45-55 yards? Do you practice that shot a lot? I've hunted for 15 years and never taken a 45 yard shot at a deer even in broad daylight. How was the doe standing or could you see? Lots of reasons why you should have just continued packing up and getting out. You are lucky you don't have a wounded deer on your conscious right now.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm gonna agree with Wolfen. That was a bad and irresponsible shot to take IMO. And whats up with your signature?
Old 10-02-2005, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think wolfen"hit the nail on the head." That was a poor shot choise! At least you were honest.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:49 AM

i agree with wolfen and josh on this one,that seems to a bad shot decision on your part.That would be a longshot for even a seasonedhunter.How long have you been hunting?45 yards is way to far to be guessing imho.did you even go to look for your arrow?
Old 10-02-2005, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm gonna have to agree with the rest of the guys. That was a pretty bad decision. I'm not understanding why you took the shot if it was that far when it was dark. The one thing I will say is that I don't think 45 yards is too far of a shot in broad daylight, but when light is fading it is an extremely bad choice. As far as taking a 45 yard shot in broad daylight I'm game, and have successfully made longer shots than that on deer. The thing about taking long shots, is all about being comfortable, and knowing what your limits are. A shot like that in the dark could have really cost you, just think about it next time. Atleast you had the guts to admit it though.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ya da yd da ya da.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:04 AM

anytime outdoors shooting at an animal, i 45 yard shot is a poor choice. with wind and all the diferent stuff can affect the flight of the arrow, i would never do that. the longest shot i would ever take in the woods is 25 yards.

Quick Reply: opening day doe and I miss!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.