Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crossbow hunting...

Old 10-01-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Crossbow hunting...

Do any of youhunt with a crossbow? I am in Alabama and they legalized it for deer last year and I am getting one soon. Just wondered if any of you guys did this or where else it is legal. I know to alot of bowhunting purists crossbows are looked down upon. I have bowhunted in the past with a compound......I just thought it would be neat to try.

Anybody do this?...Also what are yall's opinions on it?
Old 10-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crossbow hunting...

I live in pa and hunt with a crossbow ( which is only legal with a disabled permit which i obtained). I would rather hunt with a compound if i could but crossbows are cool. Im gona warn you though they are very loud and drop off like a rock so u better be extra good with ranges. tonight i had a doe jump the string on me with mine at 24yd so if you do get one look into the sims crossbow limbsaver devices to try to quiet it down a lil. good luck
Old 10-02-2005, 02:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to and they are a heavy piece of junk. They sound like someone is hitting a 2x4 with a hammer when they go off
Old 10-02-2005, 07:38 AM

What kind do you guys use? How fast does yours shoot.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just for the record deerslayer, you do'nt have to be disabled to use a crossbow in Pa.! Anyone can use one.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

I have hunted with crossbows for several years now. I have a Horton Legend SL. This is the second horton I have owned and have never had any problems to speak of with them. I sent the entire head of this bow back at the end of last season for what I thought was a crack in the limb. The waranty was long gone and Horton replaced it w/out any questions or charge, just price of shipping to get it to them so they could see it. I basically got a new bow for $15 shipping. My Legend is right around 300fps. i shoot carbon arrows with 125gr. Muzzy braod heads. Deerslayer is right, they drop off pretty quick and are kind of noisy, but a set of limbsavers will quiet them right down. I have 4 (2 on each side ) and you would beleive the noise difference. Range is about the same as a compund but like everything else you need to be the judge and know what your equipment can do, as for cardeer, I have no idea what you are shooting but 2x4 smacking together?????????? must be an oldbarnett or pse those were very loud and heavy. upgrade. You can gowith top of the lineTenpoint but it will cost you about 3x as much as a great Horton bow will. Just my 2cents worth....................... Good luck and aslway be safe.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:11 PM

I have the Tenpoint QX4 with the limb saver stuff all over it that came with the package and it is ten times quieter then my old Horton Hunter crossbow.
I live in OH where it is legal to hunt with one. I used to have a PSE Baby G compound that I hunted with but after a accident I can no longer use a compound.

I would say stick with Ten Point or Horton and you can't go wrong.

Kurt
Old 10-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just to clarify about PA, in the special regulation Wildlife Managment Units any hunter can use a crossbow during any deer season including archery. In the rest of the state non-disabled hunters may use a crossbow only during any firearm deer season...and must obtain a muzzleloader stamp if they are going to use it during any of the muzzleloader seasons.

I bought an inexpensive Barnett model last year to use in our after-Christmas muzzleloader/bow season. I didn't see much so I didn't get a chance to take an animal with it. Still had alot of fun though.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:16 AM

I got my crossbow this weekend and done some shooting. I like it alot although it is a little noisy. May need some limbsavers for it.

It is blazin fast though.

I got the Barnet Quad 400. 345fps[8D]

Old 10-03-2005, 11:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

My gramps loves his ten point with Accu Draw. The Accu Draw has a crank and a device attaches to the string to make sure it gets pulled back the same everytime(with little effort). With Cross bow(I fond out to research) you have to pull back the same each time. If your off left or right it will then alter the shot. They are lound, but not like cars crashing. I prefer bow, but when I am 76 like my Gramps I hope to be able to hunt. If that means using a cross bow, then locak and load!!!

Quick Reply: Crossbow hunting...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.