Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crossbow hunting...

Old 10-05-2005, 01:41 PM

Default RE: Crossbow hunting...

YEP DO WHAT YOU THINK IS FOR YOU WITH ETHICS
ORIGINAL: ARGUY

Superman i too am from alabama. I bought one last year and little noisy but there are ways to quiet 1 down but will never be as quiet as the compound. i have a bow also and i like shooting both altho the compound is easier to carry in the woods and i think its more fun to shott. There are a lot of snooty hunters in this state who slam the crossbow so dont listen to them, get what u want and hunt with what you want as long as its ethical. Whats funny is the people who slam the crossbow hunt private land here and say "aint nobody coming on my land with one", thats pretty snooty. The sad thing is the bowhunters in my state, not all of them, but most of them are known as being snooty due to this attitude which i think is sad and gives the bowhunters a bad name.

My advice to all who get one: Sight it in, not at 50 yards. I have a ten point red dot scope and have it sighted in at 20/30/40 yards but prob wouldnt talk over a 30 yard shot 99.9% of the time. Shoot it and practice a lot just like you would with a bow so when the time comes you can make a good and clean shot. Also dont buy a cheapone, get one with anti-dry fire and one with a good size stock to hide your hand when you shoot. Only ignorance will get someone fingers cut-off with a broadhead, no excuses for someone doing that.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:14 PM

I for one can't understand the hoopla that compound shooters use to dismiss crossbows. Correct me if I am wrong, but crossbows have been around for centuries, next too the club,spear, knife and stickbow they are the oldest weapons in existance. The compound aint even 50 years old is it? Whose shooting the oldest style???

I bought a Titan TL4 with 3dot redot on it and I LOVE it. I was in the backyard shooting it this afternoon. In fact I let my 9, 7 and 5 year old children take a shot with it at about 7 yards. They all hit within 6" of center and I didn't have to do anything but hold it up for them and make sure their hands were clear of anything. They LOVED it and want to shoot it more. You gonna tell me that something that draws my kids closer too me and makes them want to enjoy the outdoors as well is BAD??? If so SHAME ON YOU!!!

Face it, deer herds are at an all time high and we as hunters are NOT doing out part to get rid of them. If more archery kills are recorded as a result of crossbows then I say AMEN!!! And sure it takes an honest and ethical sportsman to admit that they probably can shoot farther with a crossbow than their own compound but in reality they should NOT do so. I know the crossbow is shooting a much lighter projectile at the same speeds as most top end compounds but it's a fact that because of the stock and the fact that the shooter isn't holding any draw weight it is then easier to connect with a target at farther ranges. I limited my compound shots too 30yds even though I can "pie pan" em at 60+ yds. But my personal limit with this TL4 is 40, even though I can smoke those 4" black circles on my Block at 50yds.

It's legal, I enjoy it and more hunters WILL be in the woods as a result. You tell me what part of that is bad for our sport? What do we do, leave the future too Nintendo and PETA?
RA
Old 10-05-2005, 07:07 PM

Hi all. I'm new here and am very impressed with what I've seen so far. It seems like a quality place.

I live in Ohio, and crossbows have been leagl since I started hunting 20 years ago. Over those 20 years, I've hunted with both compounds and crossbows. I currently own and use both. I've been in a lot of debates about them and been called all kinds of interesting names for using one. When I saw this thread I expected to find much of the same. It was refreshing to see the attitudes shown here.

For those of you considering buying one or upgrading, you really should check out the Excaliburs. They're not fancy or very cool to look at, but they are great performers. I own an Excalibur Exomag and couldn't be more satisfied.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:27 PM

I live and hunt in Ohio and hunt with a compound and a crossbow. My crossbow is a Barnett Wildcat C5 320 FPS and so far i'm happy. Ofcourse the crossbow is louder but they are a lot of fun too. Pros and cons to both. -Koz
Old 04-16-2007, 10:51 PM

I know some hunters really get mad when you say hey i got a new crossbow to hunt deer lol but believe me since my disability thats all i can use and it was not my idy so please when you pull back on that bow I look up to you not criticize, i wish you the best yer next hunt but im trying my best to.......... see you at the supper table im bound and determend[:-]